No matter where you do it, stand up paddling is one of the best summer sports. Try some of our tips to become an expert before the end of the season!
From biking and rafting to swimming and hiking, there are plenty of sports to get you outside in summer! If you haven’t tried stand up paddling yet, this summer might be a great time. As one of the most popular water sports around, it’s easy and fun for beginners and experts! No matter what kind of paddle board you choose, it’s a great way to get out on the water. Share the summer sports you love on your favorite family app!
Which Stand Up Paddle Board Should You Choose?
When wading into the world of stand up paddleboards, it can be hard to know where to begin. Let our guide help you choose a board!
- All Around SUPs – This type of SUP board is perfect for beginners. It can be used in all kinds of conditions from strong ocean currents to tranquil lakes. For those who want a versatile board, an all-around is perfect!
- Inflatable SUPs – An inflatable stand up paddleboard can be perfect for the newbie. Whenever or wherever you want to use it, all you have to do is roll it up. This version also happens to be super durable so you don’t have to worry about wear.
- Touring SUPs – These types may not be the go-to for beginners but they can provide a challenge! They are longer than an average SUP so they provide great speed and efficiency.
- Surf SUPs – A surfing SUP is perfect for dealing with ocean waves as it’s very responsive. While it can provide great practice for beginners, it’s the least stable paddleboard for the water.
Stand Up Paddle Board for Beginners
Stand up paddleboarding can be hard for the novice! Fortunately, we have a bunch of tips that will give you a leg up. Share your favorite tips on FamilyApp with other boarders!
- Learn to Fall – The goal might be to stay on the board, but you’re going to have to fall sometime! Be sure that you keep your arms close to your body so that you don’t injure yourself on the board.
- Climb on Carefully – Stand up paddling exercise can be difficult when you’re just getting used to the board. Start at the end of the board, let your legs float up to the surface and then inch your way on. Keep in mind that it will get easier with experience!
- Keep It Loose – Comfort on your paddleboard is important so that you can get the hang of things. To prevent cramping in your feet, make sure laces and footholds aren’t too tight. You’ll also want to keep a relatively loose grip on your paddle so you can move with the water.
- Watch the Weather – When it comes to paddleboarding for beginners, the right day can be your best friend. If you’re just starting out, make sure the wind isn’t too brisk and the weather conditions are mild. This will make it easier to find your balance and get used to the board.
Where Can You Go Stand Up Paddle Boarding?
A lake or body of water close to you is a great place to get in your stand up paddling lessons. But if you’re looking for a world-class adventure, you may want to try one of the following hotspots. Be sure to share your ideal destinations on your favorite family app!
- Whistler, British Columbia – It may be known for its famed ski hill. However, Whistler has a lot to offer throughout the year. Whether you head to Alta Lake, Alpha Lake, or another body of water, the scenery is without compare!
- Hawaii – What better place to learn the ropes of stand up paddleboarding, than in the place that started it all? Before it became one of the most popular water sports around, it all started on the Hawaiian Islands!
- The Bahamas – The tranquil clear waters of the Abacos Islands in the Bahamas are the perfect place to perfect this sport. You’ll love the amazing coral reef life and all the sea creature spotting.
Stand up paddleboarding is the perfect sport for summer. All it takes is a calm day and a little practice and you just might be a paddling pro! Do you have any tips for getting the hang of this sport? Share them with other boarders in our comments. Whether you go to a nearby lake or a far-flung destination, paddle boarding can make for a great recreational adventure!