The summer months are the best time of year to be outside, and these easy summer dinner ideas that will help you enjoy the best foods of the season!Jump to Recipe
Whether you’re spending plenty of time at the beach or traveling with the family, summer is an exciting time. But most people don’t want to hang out in the kitchen for hours on end to make a dinner salad, pasta, or tacos.
Luckily, there are plenty of summer dinner recipes that aren’t too hard to execute. So you can enjoy the day outside and whip up a delicious, quick meal. If you want to make the whole family happy in the heat, try out one of the following summer dinner ideas soon.
What Are Some Dinner Recipes Kids Will Love?
It can be hard to come up with the kind of summer dinner meals that are relatively healthy, easy-to-make, and taste delicious. But the following items accomplish all three.
- Barbecue Chicken Pizza– For one of the best summer dinner ideas with chicken, this inspired flatbread is the way to go! Simply top a pizza crust with barbecue grilled chicken, mozzarella, and cheddar cheese for a delicious dinner. You can add honey, cilantro, and onions for extra flavor too!
- Customized Hot Dogs – Ok, so a hot dog might be the most unique of dinner ideas. But you can easily optimize this food favorite with plenty of fixings! Instead of mustard and ketchup, add pineapple, avocado salsa, onions, and chili for a unique treat. You may even want to share this fun idea on FamilyApp!
- Grilled Shrimp Fajitas – Fajitas are a popular Mexican food that makes for a light summer dinner. For that reason, your family will love this recipe! You can even punch up the flavor of this easy and delicious shrimp dish with bell peppers and onions or use hard shells instead of soft tortillas to make shrimp tacos.
Grilled Shrimp Fajitas
- 2.0 lbs medium shrimp (fresh is best, but frozen, thawed, then cleaned shrimp also works )
- 4.0 bell peppers (color variety) (sliced into strips )
- 1.0 large red onion (sliced into strips )
- 1.0 tbsp olive oil
- 8.0 tortillas (preferably corn)
- 2.0 limes (sliced )
- 1/4 cup lime juice (key limes or Mexican limes work best )
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1.0 tbsp olive oil
- 2.0 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2.0 tbsp shrimp fajitas seasoning blend
- 2.0 tbsp chili powder
- 2.0 tsp oregano
- 2.0 tsp cumin
- 2.0 tsp paprika
- 2.0 tsp kosher salt
- 2.0 tsp black pepper
- 1.0 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
- Mix together the marinade ingredients and add the shrimp. Toss to coat, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 15 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan over high heat roast the bell peppers and onions in the oil until slightly limp and charred. Set aside.
- Preheat grill to 300°F and clean grill. Spray grill with cooking spray and grill shrimp, 1 to 2 minutes per side depending on size. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm covered with aluminum foil.
- In a large grilling skillet over medium-high heat on the stovetop. Add shrimp and cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side depending on size. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm covered with aluminum foil.
- Add shrimp back to the skillet with vegetables and toss to mix and warm through.
- Serve grilled shrimp and vegetables with warm tortillas. Top with pico de gallo and guacamole (optional) and sliced limes.
What Are Some Quick Summer Meal Ideas?
One of the best parts of summer is getting out the barbecue. And if you’re looking for some recipes that make summer dinner easy, look no further! You may even want to share these great ideas on a family app.
- Grilled Steak and Asparagus – For this low-carb option, you just need your grill and a little foil! Simply cut up steak, add asparagus and wrap in foil for a perfectly grilled treat. If red meat isn’t your thing, you can sub out the steak with shrimp, chicken, or grilled zucchini. If you have leftovers, add a little dressing to your steak for an amazing steak sandwich.
- Fish Tacos– Who doesn’t love some summer foods that let your kids play with their food! So fry up some fish and serve it in a tortilla with mango salsa and avocado is the perfect taco meal. You can even add a summer side salad to get in some extra veggies.
- Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs – Get out the grill for this simple summer dinner BBQ idea. Cut up chicken, pineapple, and vegetables like peppers, zucchinis, and onions for a sweet, savory meal! Make your own tangy chipotle barbecue sauce for a little added flavor.
What Are Some Great Ideas for Summer Dinner Party Ideas?
It can be fun to put on a backyard barbecue or a summer lunch for your friends and family! The following menu items will make for an easy affair that can still surprise them.
- Turkey Burgers– There’s nothing quite like pulling out the grill for some afternoon sun, and turkey burgers can be a healthier option that really satisfies! To keep moisture in the burgers, add mashed avocado, then customize this recipe with plenty of fixings like fresh lettuce and tomatoes.
- Pasta With Scallop Marinara – This lovely summer pasta takes cues from the bounty of the season. Simply poach scallops in a tomato marinara sauce and add to pasta for one of the best summer dinner dishes. You can even add olive oil, fresh basil, fresh tomatoes, and sun-dried tomato for added oomph. Share this perfect summer pasta idea on FamilyApp.
- Summer Salad – Take advantage of your garden’s bounty (or at least the abundance of fresh produce at the grocery store) and whip up a classic summer salad. Take heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, and watermelon. Top with a dressing of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and a sprig of fresh basil. This perfectly balanced salad is an ideal summer recipe for everybody.
Summer might not be a time for comfort foods, but there are plenty of great summer dinner ideas to satisfy any appetite! From fish tacos to grilled kabobs, the perfect family meal should be full of flavor and easy to prepare. Can you share simple but good ideas for summer dinner? Let us know in our comments! Whether you head for the barbecue or keep things simple, there are plenty of perfect summer-centric meals.