An outdoor kitchen can be great for getting loved ones outside for summer barbecues and family dinners. The first step is deciding what you want out of your backyard paradise!
The idea of planning an outdoor kitchen can be overwhelming for a lot of people. But, there’s nothing like an outside space that you can enjoy throughout the year! The easiest way to start is by knowing what you want from the get-go. After all, if your kitchen is the most popular space in your home, imagine how popular it will be outdoors. You can watch the kids play sports or simply enjoy the view of the garden together.
*This article contains affiliate links. It doesn’t cost you anything, but if you click on the link and buy something, we’ll earn a small commission to help our writing team create more great articles.*
How Do You Design an Outdoor Kitchen?
A lot of planning can go into the perfect outdoor kitchen design for your living space. Get started on this project by using a few of our tips, and share your own on your favorite family app!
- Plan for All Seasons – Depending on where you live, you may want to consider enclosed outdoor kitchen ideas you can enjoy all year round. Consider a pergola for the warm summer months and a fire pit for the cooler evenings of fall and winter!
- Make It Complementary – The right outdoor kitchen is going to serve as an extension of your home. That’s why it needs to fit in with the décor and style of your backyard and house. Think about the countertops and colors that will truly offer a flattering outdoor space!
- Choose a Layout – Because you won’t have walls to define your outdoor kitchen space, you’ll need to think about its shape. For this reason, an L-shaped kitchen that offers an open space is a very popular choice. Discuss your ideal layout with your family on FamilyApp!
- Decide on Appliances – From a grill or pizza oven to a refrigerator or fire pit, there are plenty of great outdoor kitchens. Be sure you know the purpose of yours so you can make the most of it. Stainless steel appliances also make for a popular option!
What Should You Put in an Outdoor Kitchen?
What you want to get from your outdoor kitchen is personal. Luckily, there are plenty of options to choose from. Whether you want a rustic family patio or a party pad for family and friends, there are no limits!
- Fire Pit – For colder climates, a fire pit can be the perfect way to get outside when it’s a bit chilly. Instead of hiding inside, you’ll be able to catch up with your family over a roaring fire, toasted marshmallows not included!
- Pizza Oven – If you’ve ever dreamed about having your own pizza oven, it’s one of the best outdoor kitchen ideas for the patio! You can easily bond with everyone over putting dinner together in a way that delivery just can’t do.
- Bar & Grill – This is the kind of kitchen that will really offer up entertainment throughout the summer. Whether you’re flipping burgers or crafting cocktails, you’ll be able to enjoy the great outdoors all the while!
- Dining Space – Being able to go outside and enjoy the sunshine for a family dinner can be a luxury. Fortunately, an outdoor space that prioritizes family time can make for a charming nook you can use all year round.
The kitchen is the heart of the home for many people. That’s why it can be a great idea to design an outdoor kitchen that brings the fun outside. Whether you’ve been dreaming of a fire pit or pizza oven, perhaps it’s time to get started on your plans! Do you have any small outdoor kitchen design ideas? Share them in our comments! By making it an extension of your space, you’ll have a place for outdoor cooking in every season!