Soups and stews are a staple for the cold winter months but can be boring when they are on your meal plan too often. Find out about all the winter vegetables that will pump up your meal plan and make delicious dinners!
The colder months are the best time of year to cozy up in the kitchen for some comforting eats. And, while you’ve probably come up with some family staples, it’s always nice to test out some new recipes! If you’re looking for some winter vegetables for your family to try, look no further! The following dishes are chock full of nutrients, colors and tasty flavors.
What vegetables are in season during winter?
Whether it’s with a pot roast or in a stew, few people can say no to slightly sweet root vegetables. Luckily, there’s more than potatoes and carrots to the winter vegetables list! Yams, sweet potatoes, onions, turnips, parsnips, beets and radishes are also great options. Because they’re grown underground, these vegetables are full of vitamins A, B, C and provide plenty of fiber. Cruciferous vegetables might sound pretty serious, but these winter vegetables have high health potential! Vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, and bok choy make up this vegetable category. Not only are they full of antioxidants, but they’re also strong-tasting and will help your body deal with inflammation.
What are some good vegetable dishes?
Most people don’t know it, but there’s more to winter vegetables than just squash and roasted carrots. Whether you’re looking for winter vegetables to grow or just new recipes, there are many options for great side dishes!
- Curried Collard Greens – This is the perfect side for warming up an otherwise cold winter’s day! By steaming greens in coconut milk and adding spices like turmeric and ginger, you’ll have a spicy, satisfying dish.
- Baked Sweet Potatoes – This winter vegetables roasted potential is second to none when it comes to nutritional power! Luckily, you can still pump up the flavor for your family by adding extras like cheese and bacon.
- Broccoli Slaw- Broccoli may be one of the most difficult winter vegetables to get your children to eat. But, getting it down is a lot easier with this new take on cole slaw! Made with carrots, red cabbage, mayonnaise and vinegar, you can even buy this easy side dish in a bag.
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots – Carrots may be one of the easiest of all root vegetables to reach for. Luckily, this staple of the crisper is even better with a bit of brown sugar. Your kids will be asking for this side dish all winter!
What are some of the best winter vegetables recipes?
The winter months call up images of warming soups and stews. Luckily, some of the following unique recipes will still pack a nutritional punch. Share these great ideas on FamilyApp with other parents!
- Creamy Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup – Carrots and dip might be one of the best ways to get a healthy snack into your kids. But they’ll happily reach for this tasty dish without any extras. Packed with vitamin C and spiced up with ginger and curry, this is a winning winter treat!
- Kale, Cauliflower & Chickpea Curry – Comforting and nutritious, this curry contains one of the best winter vegetables there is – kale! With fiber-rich chickpeas and cauliflower, this coconut milk laden dish is also pretty easy to prepare.
- Ham & Collard Quiche – The great thing about quiche is that it’s easy to make and you can throw just about anything in it! And, this cool weather version will get in all the greens your family needs to meet the daily quota. If you want to get ambitious, you can even bake the tart from scratch!
Getting in the daily intake of vegetables can sometimes be a struggle, but there are so many delicious ways to prepare root vegetables. Do you have a few favorite winter vegetables recipes you’d like to share?
Share some of your tips and tricks in our comments!