Few Southern cities possess the charm of Charleston. Whether you want to walk the French Quarter or revisit American history, you won’t run out of sites to see! Check the best traveling tips for Charleston, South Carolina, here!
Coastal cities like New York and Los Angeles might be the most popular international destinations. But there are plenty of great places to go in the South that can be just as fascinating! If you’re looking for a city with history, horse-drawn carriages, and a fabulous culinary culture, this destination might be for you. From the French Quarter to lively King Street, there are many reasons to plan your trip to Charleston, South Carolina!
What are must see places in Charleston?
Known as “The Holy City”, this Southern destination has plenty to put it at the top of your travel list. Whether you’re with your family or on your own, the following local Charleston attractions will make it worth the trip!
- Visit Fort Sumter– If you’re looking to explore an important part of American history, Fort Sumter should be on your list! The first battle of the American Civil War was fought here, and the Charleston Harbor remained a contentious site for many years.
- Old Slave Mart Museum – This Southern spot may be filled with sightseeing and local attractions, but there’s plenty of history worth seeing. In fact, Antebellum Charleston was the center of the domestic slave trade. For a look into a dark part of America’s history, this museum is worth a visit.
- Center for Birds of Prey – For the animal lover, this center in SC is the perfect place to spend part of the day. In addition to visiting all the bird life, you can also learn about the lowcountry ecosystem of Francis Marion Forest. Share this great destination on a family app!
- King Street – The best Charleston events can be found in this hopping, happening area. Whether you want to go shopping or listen to music, this promenade will be your go to. Luckily, there are plenty of festivals that bring wildlife, wine, and shrimp and crab boils to the street!
Where to stay when visiting Charleston?
Whatever your budget, there are plenty of great stays in downtown Charleston. From the economical to the historic, here are some of the best! You may even want to share some of these spots on FamilyApp.
- Charleston Place Hotel – This 4-diamond hotel is sure to meet the needs of the most discerning of travellers! In addition to the Michelin-rated Charleston Grill, it offers 24-hour room service and all the amenities you could ask for.
- Embassy Suites – This hotel that was once home to the South Carolina State Arsenal is a National Historic Landmark! Luckily, it’s more than just a building with a rich history. Enjoy the hardwood floors, the fitness room and Jacuzzi, and the free evening cocktails and snacks!
- 1843 Battery Carriage House Inn – If you’re going for a long weekend, this is one of the best Charleston b&bs around! In addition to historic ambiance, it has a stunning view of Battery Park and the harbor.
Where to eat in Charleston SC?
You can’t head to a city like Charleston without experiencing the best of Southern cuisine! From freshly shucked oysters to good old grits, there are plenty of restaurants to indulge in the spirit.
- Bowens Island – This is the perfect place to enjoy some of the best oysters the Charleston food scene has to offer. To soak up the lively atmosphere and partake in the city’s history, head here!
- Bertha’s Kitchen – Gullah Geechee cuisine might sound like a mouthful on its own. But you’ll want to head down to dine at Bertha’s and enjoy its best offerings! This restaurant even has the distinction of being declared a James Beard American Classic.
- Wreck of the Richard and Charlene – It might seem like a strange name, but this popular locale is one of Charleston’s best restaurants. With straight-off-the-boat seafood fried up right, it’s perfect for a truly Southern experience. Share this down-home gem with other travellers on a family app!
When it comes to traveling, few places possess the spirit and style of this South Carolina destination. From American history to the area’s best food offerings, there’s something done for everyone in southern style! Do you have any travel tips for Charleston? Share them with us in our comments! No matter where you stay or what you do, it’s hard to miss out on the appeal of this lively locale.