Taking to the road doesn’t mean that you can’t eat well. Try some of these healthy road trip snacks to keep your nutrition in check while you’re away!
Holidays can be a time to forget about health and focus on living in the moment. But, enjoying your trip to the fullest doesn’t have to require unhealthy food! There’s actually plenty of travel food out there that can keep you well-balanced while you’re on the road. Instead of giving up on a healthy meal, try road trip snacks you can take with you! Be sure to share your own healthy snack ideas on your favorite family app.
How Do You Eat Healthy on a Road Trip?
The most important part of staying healthy on the road is being dedicated. If you want to stick to it, it will be easier to find solutions along the way instead of getting sidetracked. After all, going to a smoothie bar or fruit stand can be just as simple as a drive-thru! An important part of staying on course is also preparation. Instead of winging it, make sure you prep your snacks for road trips ahead of time. You can make muffins or trail mix in advance and grab an apple for the road. It’s a great way to ensure you’ll have a healthy snack to reach for instead of junk food.
What Are Good Road Trip Snacks?
You might feel like you’re stuck with only a few snack options on your road trip. Instead of springing for a sandwich or crackers, we have some of the best homemade snacks for road trips around!
- Trail Mix – Few foods are as easy to take along on the road like trail mix. But it doesn’t have to be from the bag or any typical mix. Instead, try adding unique touches like dried cherries, dark chocolate or even coconut. This will mix it up and still keep you healthy!
Monkey Munch Trail MixA road trip mix that everyone will love!Servings: 12Calories: 261kcal
- 1 cup dried banana chips
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- sea salt to taste
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl!
- Seal in an airtight container and take it on your next road trip!
NutritionCalories: 261kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 16g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 17g
- No-Bake Cookies – Everyone loves a sweet treat on a road trip. Luckily, there are no-bake cookies options that won’t make you feel guilty! Try small bites made with coconut flour, peanut butter, maple syrup, almond milk and salt. Add your own mix-ins for one of the best road trip snacks around!
- Crispy Spiced Chickpeas – Few foods pack the protein punch of chickpeas. And, while you might often eat them in hummus, there are other ways to eat them! Whether you add lime zest and chili or garlic and parmesan, all you have to do is roast them. Not only are they good for you, they offer a great alternative to the crunch of pretzels and potato chips! Share your favorite version on FamilyApp.
- Fruit & Cheese – This snack is savory and sweet, and still manages to be nutritional for you. Pack fruit like strawberries, grapes, and blueberries with some individually packed cheese. You can even spring for veggie sticks if you don’t mind cutting up carrots and celery!
- Granola Bars – Instead of buying these at the grocery store, make your own snacks for road trips for a great mid-morning break. Try apple pie granola bars with nuts, almond butter, oats and honey for something extra special. You may even want to make your own pumpkin seed granola for another snack that’s good on the go!
What Are Some Healthy Gas Station Snacks for Road Trips?
It’s hard to be healthy on the road with all of the fast-food temptations along the way. The next time you stop at a gas station, try one of these treats for something that will stave it off. Share your cheap snacks for road trips on your favorite family app!
- Protein Bars – Many protein bars can be high in sugar, but they’re also a good source of vitamins and minerals. This common gas station snack will offer good nutritional value, but make sure you read the nutritional information before buying!
- Nuts – From honey-roasted peanuts to nut mixes with oil, there are plenty of nut options that aren’t so healthy. Instead of springing for these, choose dry lightly salted or roasted nuts for your protein fix.
- Fruit – Most gas stations will have a few pieces of fruit that you can purchase. Luckily, it’s one of the best healthy road trip snacks around. A banana or an apple can be good for minimizing your hunger and still getting in much-needed nutrients.
Few forms of travel are more exciting than a road trip. But it can be hard to stay healthy when you’re on the road! Fortunately, with the right approach and a little preparation you’ll have the best snacks for road trips around! Do you have a favorite travel snack? Share it with other travelers in our comments! From homemade granola to the best no-bake cookies, a good snack doesn’t mean you can’t eat well!