Add a little bit of tropical fruit to your daily diet. From brighter skin to a natural immune system boost, pineapple is chock full of a variety of health benefits!
There’s nothing like tropical fruit in your morning smoothie or an afternoon Pina Colada. But some fruits are made better than others! If you happen to love pineapple, there are more than a few reasons to make it a diet mainstay. From brighter skin to its anti-inflammatory properties, it offers a lot of benefits.
What Are the Health Benefits of Pineapple?
Pineapple might be one of the best tropical fruits around, but there’s a lot more to it. Take advantage of this fabulous fruit’s health potential today.
- Rich in Antioxidants – You might not know the facts of this fruit, but fresh pineapple is chock full of antioxidants. This includes disease-fighting compounds like phenolics, flavonoids, which help fight free radicals in the body. Free radicals are related to many different health issues including heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
- High in Vitamin C – According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), one cup of this fruit contains 78.9 mg of vitamin C! It might not sound like much, but it’s more than the recommended daily allowance for women. Vitamin C is one of the most important nutrients for the body, helping with iron absorption and healing.
- Brighter Skin – There are plenty of products out there that can exfoliate your skin. But, by rubbing pineapple on your face, you can leave dull skin behind without a trip to the pharmacy! That’s because this fruit contains the enzyme bromelain which can work to exfoliate your skin. Share your favorite tips for brighter skin on FamilyApp!
- Helps with Digestion – Bromelain may be able to help with brighter skin, but it also has other purposes when it comes to pineapple. In fact, this versatile enzyme can actually assist with digestion. Bromelain is often used in South and Central American countries to treat just this issue.
- Maintains Strong Bones – Few foods contain the trace mineral manganese, but pineapple is full of it! That means that this carbohydrate-rich fruit can be a great way to help your bones stay strong. All you need is about one cup to get in most of the manganese you’ll need for the day!
- Boosts the Immune System – There are many immune-boosting foods out there, but many people don’t know this tropical fruit is among them. A 2014 Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism study concluded that children who consumed canned pineapple had fewer infections. While it may not prevent them, it can shorten the duration!
How Can Pineapple Help With Weight Loss?
If you’re looking for a weight-loss food, fruits are a great way to add diversity to the mix. While there haven’t been a lot of studies, it is believed pineapple juice can decrease fat formation and increase breakdown. If that’s not enough, fruits like it provide a sweet fix without all of the calories of sugary treats. It also happens to be low in calories and contains many nutrients that can fill you up without overconsuming! Be sure to the benefits of pineapple on your favorite family app!
Whether you love citrus fruits or not, many of them have benefits that go beyond vitamin C. In fact, adding pineapple to your daily diet can help to boost your immune system and provide much-needed nutrients! Do you have any pineapple health benefits to share? Share them with others in our comments! With so many upsides, there’s no reason you shouldn’t make this food a part of your diet.