17 Delicious Pineapple Recipes to Kick Off the Summer
Summer is swiftly approaching, and nothing says summer like the sweet taste of fresh pineapple! Here are some amazing ideas for pineapple recipes that will take you right to the tropics.
*This article contains affiliate links. It doesn’t cost you anything, but if you click on the link and buy something, we’ll earn a small commission to help our writing team create more great articles.*Jump to Recipe
What Can I Do With Pineapple?
When it comes to fruits, pineapple is one of the most refreshing ways to cool off on a hot summer day. Whether it comes as fresh fruit, frozen fruit, or canned fruit, its bright, citrusy flavor makes fresh pineapple a fantastic addition to a delicious smoothie, low-fat yogurt, cake, or even pineapple chicken. Pineapple juice can also be a delicious mixer in your favorite mixed drink and cocktail recipes. Here are some ideas and pineapple recipes and for your next pineapple dish.
What Are Some Pineapple Recipes for Dessert?
1.. Pineapple Upside-Down Cake: Did anyone else’s grandma make pineapple upside-down cake with canned pineapple for dessert? This recipe will always make me think of the 50s and 60s. If you’re looking for something different to bring to your next event or serve up a bit of nostalgia, try it out! Because it’s “upside down,” it’s sure to be a novel hit!
2. Caramelized Pineapple with Vanilla Ice Cream: Who says dessert has to be boring? Caramelized fruit with ice cream takes your dessert game to a whole new level. When sugars caramelize with heat, they develop nuttiness, bitterness, toastiness, and even a bit of a buttery, creamy flavor. Try topping with a sprinkle of coconut flakes to add some texture!
3. Pineapple Crisp: Crisps are one of the simplest desserts out there, yet they’re so tasty! Load it up with fresh pineapple chunks, top with a brown sugar streusel, and bake until golden. It’s soooo good with vanilla ice cream, too!
4. Pineapple Coconut Bars: With a crisp, shortbread crust and a chewy, gooey layer of pineapple and coconut, everyone will want another one. Not too sweet and slightly tart, these bars are a fruity tropical drink in bar cookie form.
5. Homemade Dole Whip: Do you ever crave that Disney classic, but you’re out of vacation days? Make a copycat version at home! This sweet, frosty fruit treat is the perfect dessert to cool off on a hot summer day. All you need is pineapple juice, frozen pineapple chunks, vanilla ice cream, lemon juice, salt, and sugar to make this soft-serve treat.
What Are Some Pineapple Recipes for Side Dishes?
6. Pineapple Chutney: There’s nothing like a fruity chutney to complement juicy chicken that’s fresh off the grill. Just cook together some pineapple, curry powder, ginger, onions, and vinegar or lemon juice until the mixture thickens and boils. The resulting sweet, spicy pineapple sauce can be served with chicken thigh, grilled steak, pork, fish, or used as an appetizer spread, especially with soft cheeses like Brie!
7. Grilled Pineapple: This recipe is about as simple as it gets! Put some fresh pineapple chunks, along with some of your favorite vegetables on skewers (try bell peppers and onions) and plop them on the grill. Eat it while it’s hot or turn it into a yummy grilled pineapple salsa. You could also cut up some chicken breast and add those to the skewers, too, for some Hawaiian chicken kebabs! Check out a tasty recipe for pork pineapple skewers from Vivacious Gourmet here or a delish recipe for pork pineapple skewers from The Rose Table here.
8. Pineapple Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce: This sauce is perfect for pulled pork, but it’s great over chicken breast and beef, too! Combine 200 ml pineapple juice, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp garlic, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 3/4 cup ketchup, a pinch of red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1-2 tbsp cornstarch, and 1-2 tbsp water. Add more or fewer pepper flakes according to your own taste!
9. Pineapple Marinade: Pineapple juice helps tenderize meat and poultry. An enzyme in the fruit, called bromelain, softens the meat by dividing proteins like collagen (and also imparts a rich and tangy flavor). Try it on one of your favorite chicken recipes!
Pineapple Drink Recipes
10. Pineapple-Mint Mango Daiquiris: This could be a delightful after-dinner treat in the summer. Or winter, fall, or spring. Listen, we’re not here to tell you when to make your daiquiris. You have full permission to make whatever beverage you want in whatever season you want. Check out this delicious Mango pineapple daiquiris recipe from the Perks of Being Us!
11 Pineapple Smoothie: Frozen pineapples are one of my favorite additions to smoothies! Simple blend frozen pineapple and any other fresh fruit you want to the blender with fruit juice or coconut milk. For a tropical smoothie, I like to use mangoes, kiwis, and bananas. For a boost of healthy nutrients, add some leafy greens or chia seeds.
12. Pina Colada: Few flavors complement each other like pineapple and coconut. This pineapple coconut drink is refreshing and kind of makes me want to get caught in the rain. While it’s easy enough to buy a store-bought mix and add some pineapple juice, this is one of my new favorite recipes because it has no added sugar! All you’ll need is 3 cups of frozen pineapple, 2/3 cups coconut milk, and 1/3 cup white rum. Put it all in the blender and pulse until smooth. Add a garnish of a little slice of pineapple!
13. Pineapple Screwdriver: This refreshing cocktail is perfect for your next summer get-together. Mix pineapple juice, orange juice, and vodka together and mix well. Pour over ice, then garnish with an orange twist and Maraschino cherries or a wedge of pineapple and fresh mint. Check out the mouthwatering drink recipe by Miss in the Kitchen here!
What Are Some Pineapple Recipes for Dinner?
14. Easy Pineapple Chicken Tacos: Looking for a spin on regular old taco night? Fill your tacos with teriyaki chicken, white or brown rice, and top with pineapple salsa! Add some of your favorite hot sauce or red pepper flakes to give your pineapple chicken tacos some extra kick!
15. Hawaiian Pizza: This is the great debate: does pineapple truly belong on pizza? Many people think this delightfully sweet and savory pizza with ham and pineapple is one of the best topping combinations of all time.
16. Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Shrimp: This is the same idea as pineapple chicken; just substitute the recipe with shrimp for a fun twist! You can even carve out a pineapple and stuff it with your shrimp, veggie, and pineapple mixture for an extra fun tropical flare!
17. Slow Cooker Hawaiian Pineapple Chicken: This Hawaiian-inspired recipe is somewhere between brown sugar chicken and sweet-and-sour chicken. It’s deliciously sweet, tangy, and sticky. You can also make this recipe in the Instant Pot to cut down on dinner prep time. Try this pineapple chicken recipe over white rice! Don’t forget to garnish with a pinch of green onions, too!
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cups fresh pineapple diced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 1/2 cup diced bell pepper (red, orange, yellow mix) red, orange, yellow mix
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- parsley for garnish if desired
- sesame seeds for garnish if desired
- 3 cups cooked white rice
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
- Using a skillet or the cast aluminum slow cooker insert, brown your chicken on both sides for 3-5 minutes over high heat then remove them from the slow cooker.
- Add the pineapple and onion to the slow cooker.
- Mix the honey, soy sauce, brown sugar, grated ginger and garlic, and BBQ sauce into the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- Add the cornstarch to a tablespoon of water, mix, and add to the slow cooker with the bell peppers and let it cook an additional 30 minutes while you cook the white rice to accompany your meal.
- Serve over white rice with parsley and sesame seeds for a garnish if desired.
Your Favorite Pineapple Ideas
These pineapple recipes are making me hungry! What are some of your favorite pineapple recipes? Let us know in the comments and share it with your friends on FamilyApp!