Summer is swiftly approaching, and nothing says summer like the sweet taste of fresh pineapple! Here are some amazing ideas for pineapple recipes that will take you right to the tropics.
What Can I Do with Pineapple?
When it comes to fruits, pineapple is one of the most refreshing ways to cool off on a hot summer day. Whether it’s fresh, frozen, or canned, its bright, citrusy flavor makes pineapple a fantastic addition to a delicious smoothie, cake, even chicken. Pineapple juice can also be a delicious mixer in your favorite mixed drink recipe. Here are some ideas and pineapple recipes and for your next summer meal.
What are Some Pineapple Recipes for Dessert?
- Pineapple Upside-down Cake: Did anyone else’s grandma make pineapple upside-down cake? This recipe will always make me think of the ’50s and ’60s. If you’re looking for something different to bring to your next event or serve up a bit of nostalgia, try it out! Because it’s “upside down,” it’s sure to be a novel hit!
- Caramelized Pineapple with Vanilla Ice Cream: Who says dessert has to be boring? Caramelized fruit with ice cream takes your dessert game to a whole new level! When the sugars caramelize with heat, they develop a nutty, buttery-creamy flavor. Try topping with coconut flakes to add some texture!
- Pina Colada: Few flavors complement each other like pineapple and coconut. This pineapple coconut drink is refreshing and kind of makes me want to get caught in the rain. While it’s easy enough to buy a store-bought mix and add some pineapple juice, this is one of my new favorite recipes because it has no added sugar! All you’ll need is 3 cups of frozen pineapple, 2/3 cups coconut milk, and 1/3 cup white rum. Put it all in the blender and pulse until smooth. Add a garnish of a little slice of pineapple!
What Are Some Pineapple Recipes for Side Dishes?
- Pineapple Chutney: There’s nothing like a fruity chutney to complement juicy chicken that’s fresh off the grill. Just cook together some pineapple, curry powder, ginger, onions, and vinegar or lemon juice until the mixture thickens and boils. The resulting sweet, spicy pineapple sauce can be served with chicken thighs, grilled steak, pork, fish, or used as an appetizer spread, especially with soft cheeses like brie!
- Grilled Pineapple: Put some pineapple chunks, along with some of your favorite vegetables on skewers (try bell peppers and onions) and toss on the grill. Eat it while it’s hot or turn them into a yummy grilled pineapple salsa.
- Pineapple Smoothie: Frozen pineapples are one of my favorite additions to smoothies! Simple blend frozen pineapple and any other fresh fruit you want to the blender with fruit juice or coconut milk. For a tropical smoothie, I like to use mangoes, kiwis, and bananas. For a boost of healthy nutrients, add some leafy greens or chia seeds.
What are Some Pineapple Recipes for Dinner?
- Pineapple Chicken Tacos: Looking for a spin on regular old taco night? Fill your tacos with teriyaki chicken, white or brown rice, and top with a fresh and add a pineapple salsa!
- Hawaiian Pizza: This is the great debate: does pineapple truly belong on pizza? Many people think this delightfully sweet and savory pizza with ham and pineapple is one of the best topping combinations of all time.
- Sweet and Spicy Pineapple Shrimp: This is the same idea as pineapple chicken, just substitute the recipe with shrimp for a fun twist!
- Slow Cooker Hawaiian Pineapple Chicken: This Hawaiian-inspired recipe is somewhere between brown sugar chicken and sweet-and-sour chicken. It’s deliciously sweet, tangy, and sticky. Try this pineapple chicken recipe over white rice!
Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cups fresh pineapple diced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 ½ cup diced bell pepper red, orange, yellow mix
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- parsley for garnish (if desired)
- sesame seeds for garnish (if desired)
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Add the pineapple and onion to the slow cooker.
- Mix the honey, soy sauce, brown sugar, grated ginger and garlic, and BBQ sauce into the slow cooker.
- Add the chicken back into the slow cooker.
- Serve over white rice with parsley and sesame seeds for a garnish if desired.
Your Favorite Pineapple Ideas
These pineapple recipes are making me hungry! What are some of your favorite pineapple recipes? Let us know in the comments and share it with your friends on FamilyApp!