Ice cream is a favorite summer treat. Whether you prefer chocolate or vanilla, you can easily make homemade ice cream!Jump to Recipe
Summer brings to mind plenty of beach barbecues and time spent in the sun. But, for many kids and their families, the warm months are synonymous with ice cream treats! Luckily, you don’t have to go to the grocery store or chase down the truck to enjoy them. You can make easy homemade ice cream in your own home! Whether your favorite is strawberry, chocolate, or something truly unique, all it takes is a few ingredients and a freezer.
Why Should I Make Homemade Ice Cream?
Ice cream might seem like the kind of thing that you have to go to the local parlor to buy. But making your own ice cream has a lot of benefits. You can mix and match ingredients to create one to your own delight. Plus, you know what’s in there and can go for much healthier options than store-bought ice cream offers.
You don’t even need to have an ice cream maker to create this delightful treat! While an ice cream maker will provide you with good churning action, you can replicate this with a hand mixer. You can even make homemade ice cream in a bag if you’re looking for a quick, freezing fix! In 15 minutes, you’ll have your favorite creamy ice cream flavor from scratch. Whatever way you choose, you can get tips from others on a family app before you begin.
How Do You Make Ice Cream?
It’s easier than you might think to do homemade ice cream DIY!
- While the quantities will change, your main ice cream ingredients include heavy cream or half and half, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- You’ll want to start by freezing a freezer-safe pan or bowl.
- Then, you can put all of your ingredients into a large bowl and whisk until the sugar dissolves.
- Put this mixture back in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Once the edges start to freeze, remove and blend with a hand mixer for optimum smoothness.
- To get creamy dreamy ice cream, you’ll want to repeat this process 4-5 times until the ice cream is frozen.
What Is Your Favorite Homemade Ice Cream Recipe?
One of the best parts about a homemade ice cream recipe is that you can add in whatever flavors you want! Whether you’re dreaming of epic chocolate ice cream or something unique, there are no limits to the flavors you can concoct. You may even want to share your own inventions on FamilyApp!
- Almond Chocolate Ice Cream– Your favorite new ice cream is easy enough! Instead of simply sticking with chocolate, add some almonds and chocolate syrup to punch up the flavor.
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream– This unique flavor might take more work, but it will be worth the effort! Before you get down to business, cook blueberries and sugar together and chill overnight. When you’re ready to make the ice cream, beat cream cheese with cream, milk, vanilla, and lemon juice. Once it’s chilled, layer it with graham cracker crumbs. But just be aware you may need a homemade ice cream machine for this flavor. Share this great recipe on a family app with other ice cream lovers!
Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs ((about 36 squares))
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter ((melted))
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (3.4 oz.) cheesecake or vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Stir in blueberries and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
Graham Cracker Topping
- In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, sugar and cinnamon.
- Stir in butter. Pat into an ungreased 15×10-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° until lightly browned, 10-15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the graham cracker mix is baking, in a large bowl, whisk the ice cream ingredients together.
- Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze.
- Fill ice cream freezer cylinder two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Whisk before adding to ice cream freezer (mixture will have some lumps).
Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream-
- Crumble the graham cracker mixture.
- In a large container, layer the ice cream, graham cracker mixture and blueberry sauce three times; swirl. Freeze.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Strawberry Ice Cream– This delicious, freezer treat will offer plenty more to get excited about during the summer! Simply start out by mixing strawberries, lemon juice, sugar, and honey together. Once the mixture has settled, you can mash it and mix it in your heavy cream and half-and-half. If you’re looking for those delicious days past of summer, this fun ice cream may bring back the memory!
Whether you’re going to the beach or on vacation, ice cream can be one of the best foods of summer! Luckily, it’s easier than you think to make homemade ice cream. From chocolate to dairy-free ice milk to classic vanilla ice cream, you can create your own new treat.
Do you have a favorite ice cream flavor? Share it with us in our comments or on social with #getfamilyapp! Making your own might seem a little complicated, but all it takes is some kitchen tools and a little patience.