Apricots are the perfect summer fruit for baking! Read all about this summer stone fruit and check out these delicious apricot recipes.
Apricots: The Sweet Taste of Summer
Apricots are deliciously sweet and a bit tangy, the perfect fruit for baking tarts, pies, cobblers, and cakes.
Prime season for apricots is about mid-May to early July, although they’re often sold in stores for much longer. For the best flavor, try finding local fresh apricots. Look for the ones that are fairly plump and a deep orange color. Similar to peaches, ripe apricots should be soft enough to yield to gentle pressure without being mushy. If they’re unripe when purchased, store them in a paper bag at room temperature for 1-2 days.
What Are The Best Apricot Recipes for Baking?
Whether it’s dessert, a sweet snack, or even a side dish, we’ve got all the ideas for yummy apricot recipes!
Apricot Cake: this is a must-try summer coffee cake. It’s a breeze to make, uses simple ingredients, and is perfect for guests and entertaining. With 2 pounds of fresh apricots, even if they’re not the perfect ripeness, this cake will be bursting with flavor!
Amazing Apricot Cake
- 2 lbs fresh apricots pitted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 tbsp confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch springform pan and set aside.
- Puree half of the apricots with the lemon juice and set aside. Quarter remaining apricots and set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar with a mixer at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add dry mixture to the batter mixture and beat until combined. Add the pureed apricots and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Evenly distribute the quartered apricots on top of the batter and bake for 55-60 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Let it cool and dust with confectioner's sugar.
Apricot Cobbler: Nothing says home like a homemade cobbler. This down-home, but classic dessert bakes up bubbly and golden brown, with an irresistibly crunchy and crumbly topping.
Apricot Crisp: Crisps and crumbles are the perfect, simple recipe that everyone loves. It’s really about letting the flavors of the fruit pop, complemented by brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon. Serve it up with some vanilla ice cream!
Almond Apricot Tart: Apricots are deliciously tangy and aromatic by themselves but pop them into a pastry shell with crunchy almonds and sweet preserves, and you’ve hit the jackpot. This easy apricot almond tart will have everyone sneaking just one more piece!
No-bake Apricot Recipes
No-bake Apricot-coconut Energy Bars: When it comes to nutritious snacks, homemade is always better than store-bought! These apricot bars are the perfect low-sugar and high-energy snacks to wrap up and take to the pool, the beach, or on a hike! No matter what summer day activities you’ve got planned, take these along as a yummy and nutritious snack!
Apricot Salsa: Not for the faint of heart, this apricot salsa recipe has some serious kick. The spicy heat from the habanero compliments the sweetness of the apricots and pineapples. Try it with tortilla chips or with a juicy grilled pork tenderloin!
Apricot glaze: While this is perfect to drizzle over your favorite pastries and desserts, it also can be yummy on chicken! In a small saucepan combine apricot jam or preserves and orange liqueur and simmer on medium-low until it’s mostly liquid. With a stainless steel whisk, whip it to break up the clumps, about 4 minutes. Serve it on your favorite cheesecake or make apricot-glazed grilled chicken or salmon!
Grilled Apricots: Pop some halved apricots onto the grill and brush with a butter and sugar glaze! The sugars will caramelize to make the flavors deliciously sweet and balanced. Once cooked, plate up the apricots and drizzle with honey and lemon juice. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream and garnish with cinnamon!
Share Your Favorite Apricot Recipes
Have we convinced you about apricots? Whether they’re added to your favorite trail mix or baked into a sweet treat, apricots are one of the best flavors of summer! Share your favorite apricot recipes with the ones you love on FamilyApp!