Thanksgiving kick starts the winter season and is one of the busiest times of the year. To make the most of your Thanksgiving travel experience, it’s important to plan ahead!
Thanksgiving is one of the most quintessentially American holidays, as we remember the original Thanksgiving feast of 400 years ago. In fact, turkey day is one of the best-loved holiday traditions. Unfortunately, all the Thanksgiving travel stats can attest to the day’s popularity. While there’s a good chance you’ll be traveling for this holiday, there are ways to make the experience better. Share your travel tips with others on your favorite family app!
When Is the Busiest Travel Day of the Year?
To any of us who have sat in traffic in late November, it comes as no surprise that the day before Thanksgiving is one of the busiest travel days of the year. This is quite a traffic-heavy occasion whether you’re on the road or in the air– so make sure you have some good audiobooks to keep you company. Though the roads are busy throughout the period, the busiest Thanksgiving travel day is Wednesday before the big day.
Roughly 48.5 million people take to the road on that day! This means that the average car trip will take longer. Whether you’re heading to the airport or driving your vehicle, being prepared ahead of time can help!
What Are Some Traveling Tips for the Day Before Thanksgiving?
There’s no doubt that travel is bound to be more stressful around this popular holiday. Share the following tips for traveling with others on FamilyApp to make your Thanksgiving Day a little smoother!
- Plan Ahead of Time – Leaving things to the last minute will always cause problems when it comes to getting away. Knowing what you’re doing early means you can get lower airline rates and get the flight you want. When travel time comes, it will go a long way towards really enjoying your trip!
- Stay up-to-date with traffic patterns– If you’re driving instead, use apps like Waze or Google Maps. They’ll often tell you when the best time to leave will be to minimize traffic. Pack travel snacks to stay the course! Audiobooks, great music, and other games for road trips help make the drive that much more enjoyable, too!
- Pack Light– It might seem like a pain to squish all of your stuff into a small carry-on bag. However, checking your bag means you’ll have to spend more time at the airport. There’s also the chance that your bag will get lost! One of the best Thanksgiving travel ideas is packing the essentials. This means you can be in and out of the airport before you know it!
- Download an app for your flight – It can be pretty irritating to run into people all over the place who are staring at their phone. But, using your phone to get airport information ahead of time can cut down on traveler stress! If you’re arriving at a new destination, you can easily get airline maps, track your flight and check-in!
- Flying Out? – If you really want to get away from the busy holiday traffic, consider heading back on Friday. Most people will be on the roads over the weekend so it can improve your Thanksgiving travel safety odds. You’ll also have the weekend to recuperate from all the turkey. Be sure to share this Thanksgiving travel tip with other travelers on your favorite family app!
Thanksgiving is the busiest travel time of the year! That means that it’s good to be prepared ahead of time whether you’re flying or driving. Do you have any Thanksgiving travel advice for making it a less harried holiday? Share it with us in the comments! While there’s no way to keep the crowds at bay completely, a little preparation can make for a better trip.