Kids today are exposed to so many different types of technology– whether it’s phones, tablets, or video games– and it can be hard for families to have a plan for the digital world. Read on for some helpful tips from Parent Technology Advocate Caleb Kinchlow on how to establish good technology habits for your family.
Kids and Technology
Parenting in the digital age of social media and online gaming is no easy task! On the one hand, screen time can offer benefits to kids, like learning apps. And what grandparents don’t appreciate FaceTime or video chats so they can talk with their family long-distance?
On the other hand, sometimes kids are learning the wrong kinds of things with their media use. Too much screen time can have some detrimental effects on social skills or even physical development. But removing these devices from our lives isn’t usually a realistic option. Many kids and teenagers legitimately need to use tech devices for their homework. Sometimes schools even provide students with laptops!
So how can we help our children develop good technology habits? Is there a right way to handle all of this?We asked Caleb Kinchlow about these issues. As a father and author of “Parents Kids and Technology: A Parents Guide to Raising Kids in the World of Technology” he’s got some great advice.
1. What Are Some of the Biggest Challenges for Families in Today’s Digital World?
2. What Are Some Practical Ways Families Can Establish Good Media Habits?
3. What Are Some Technology Tips for Blended Families— Both in Terms of Setting Shared Standards Across the Different Households, and the Role of Stepparents or Grandparents in the Equation?
4. Many Parents and Grandparents Aren’t Nearly as Tech-Savvy as Their Kids and Teenagers. What Are Some Ways They Can Help Their Teens Navigate the Digital Landscape They Might Not Understand Themselves?
5. How Can Families Help Kids and Teens Who Are Dealing with Technology Addiction?
6. What Would You Say to Families Who Feel like They’ve Already Blown It When It Comes to Establishing Good Technology Habits? Is It Too Late to Start over with Your Kids?
Kids and Technology – Becoming a Tech-Savvy Family
While there’s no one-size-fits-all template for family technology use, the basic principles that Caleb articulates in his book are extremely helpful. Just staying aware of what your kids are doing online, and implementing consistent boundaries and limits for technology and social media use are two great ways to create a healthy atmosphere and to keep your family safe.
For more family technology tips, be sure to check out Caleb’s book!