Learning has definitely changed in the age of technology. Fortunately, with smartphones and tablets, education can be as simple as an app download. Check out these learning apps for kids and boost the benefits of their screen time!
One of the best things about being a kid is all the fun and creativity that goes along with playtime. And, luckily for your little ones, playing can also be an educational experience! While apps can be useful for everyone in the family, they can also provide some much-needed learning for your kids. If you’re looking for the best apps for kids to learn, these are a good place to start.
There are plenty of free apps out there that your kids will love that can also provide a bit of education. You may even want to share them with other parents on FamilyApp!
- Duolingo – This is one of the best educational apps for kids and parents to start learning a foreign language. Duolingo provides the opportunity for your child to practice Spanish, Dutch, French, Chinese, and more!
- Lego Boost – Kids love the endless possibilities with Lego building blocks. This app lets them take the fun online with plenty of drag and drop coding to build their own creations.
- PBS Kids – PBS Kids is one of the most popular television channels for kids, and while they make plenty of apps with characters from beloved TV shows, a lot of their apps are also educational! Apps like "Super Why ABC Adventures: Alphabet” and "The Cat in the Hat Invents" allow your child to learn while having fun! PBS also makes apps specifically for parents to play with their children, so you can help foster their love of learning.
It’s very important for kids’ imagination to spend time coming up with their own games. But, that doesn’t mean they can’t get involved with online learning! The following preschooler apps will help them get started.
- Endless Alphabet – This app for iOS and Android make learning the ABCs easy! With fun animation and colorful monsters, this is among the best learning apps for toddlers. It will even help them build their vocabulary and phonics skills and start reading at their own pace!
- Elmo Loves 123s – Little kids may love the fuzzy puppet known as Elmo, but they’ll also love educational apps for iPad. This fun game is ideal for ages 5 and under and will teach your kids numbers 1 to 20. It will also help them solve simple addition and subtraction problems!
- Fish School – With this app, your preschooler can learn important concepts like letters, numbers, shapes, colors, and matching with brightly colored schools of fish! Users can make the fish swim and do funny things with a simple touch and drag.
It will be easier for your kids to get the best out of educational apps as they get more technologically savvy. The following family apps can work in conjunction with the classroom for an educational boost!
- ClassDojo - This interactive app functions as a virtual classroom that can link parents, teachers, and students up for education. In addition to keeping parents in the loop, students can communicate their learning needs for an outcome-based education!
- Quick Maths – There are plenty of kids that struggle with math, and this app can be great at helping them understand. It’s perfect for grades 2 through 6 and will help them develop skills so they can tackle the tough problems.
- Winky Think Logic Puzzles – This is one of the best educational apps for iPhone to provide a boost of learning for your little one. Whatever your child’s favorite puzzle, Winky Think provides more than 180 puzzles that range from simple to complex. It's a fun and easy way for teaching your kids easy math.
- Khan Academy- With videos illustrating different matching puzzles and higher-level math problems, Khan Academy offers a great math education. Kids can play it on the computer, iPad, Android, or another electronic device.
There’s a good chance that your child will spend a lot more time using technology once they hit their tweens. But, the following educational apps for kids will make you feel good about the time they spend behind a screen!
- DragonBox – This app is full of fun activities that will help improve your child’s math game. It features more than 5 learning apps that cover everything from algebra to geometry. And, while the app costs money, there are no in-app purchases to worry about.
- Science360 – There are many educational apps, but this one’s created by the National Science Foundation so you know it’s got to be good. It may even become your child's favorite app since all the content is gathered from scientists and universities! For the budding scientist, Science360 is a dream come true.
- Flow Free – Most kids love puzzles, and this fun app will be no different no matter your child’s age. With more than 2000 puzzles to try, you may even enjoy this versatile app as much as your tween does!
There’s no shortage of kids apps out there, but there are plenty that provide a little education along the way! Whether your child wants to learn their ABCs or improve their math skills, there’s something for everyone, from 2-year-olds to tweens. Do you have some favorite educational apps? Let us know in our comments! From math to science to letters and numbers, there’s no reason an app can’t provide some educational fun!