Have you started a keto eating plan, but don’t know what to feed your carb-loving kids? Try these family-friendly keto meals for a balanced diet that will work for everyone!Jump to Recipe
Winter’s right around the corner, which means comfort foods and staying inside. But the cold months don’t have to mean weight gain. For those who are looking for a diet that will still allow them to indulge, keto can be it! But many people struggle with sticking to their plan when they have to cook a different meal for their family.
The good news is: There are plenty of family-friendly keto meals your spouse and kids will love. You’ll just need to make some changes to suit the dietary needs of your children. Be sure to share your keto meal plan on your favorite family app!
What Does Keto Mean?
Often known as keto, the ketogenic diet was created in 1920 as a treatment for epilepsy. More recently, it’s become a popular weight-loss option. Unlike many diets that restrict fats, on a keto plan, you can load up on high-fat foods like butter, oil, cheese, sausage, eggs, and fish. But you’ll keep your consumption of grains, bread, rice, pasta, and fruit to a minimum. That way, you’ll put your body into a state of ketosis where the body uses fat, not carbohydrates, as an energy source.
What Are Some Great Family-Friendly Keto Meals?
Because the keto diet is low carb, some experts do not recommend it for children who need carbs for growth and development. If you’re doing this diet, rice, serve some pasta or bread alongside your main dish for an easy kid-friendly adjustment to your keto meals. Share your ideas on FamilyApp with other parents!
The Philly cheesesteak is a quintessential Philadelphia meal, and with a few tweaks, you can make it a family-friendly keto meal! Instead of bread, fill hollowed green peppers with steak, cheese, and vegetables like zucchini, mushrooms, and onions. For a bit of twist, you can use ground beef instead of flank steak!
Keto Eggplant Lasagna
Going on the keto diet doesn’t mean that you can’t still enjoy your old indulgences. And, while flour-based noodles are definitely out, you can get creative with lasagna for an alternative to the traditional treat! Try layering slices of eggplant with ground beef, tomato sauce, and parmesan cheese for a quick family-friendly keto meal.
Low Carb Fish & Chips
If fish and chips is one of your favorites, you’ll want to try this delightful meal tonight! Start by covering fish in an almond flour mixture and then frying it until it’s golden brown. The trick to stick to a low-carb diet is to serve it alongside rutabaga chips or carrot fries that are baked in the oven. Share your own ideas for kid-friendly low-carb meals on your favorite family app!
Nothing provides comfort in cold weather quite like a casserole, and this keto recipe is no exception!
Low-Carb Cheesy Chicken Casserole
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 8 oz. package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1-1/2 cups extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup avocado mayonnaise
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp fresh-ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 fully-cooked rotisserie chicken, meat removed and chopped most store chains sell these
- 1-1/2 cup onions diced
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic minced
- 8 oz. fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
Low-Carb Cheesy Chicken Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon crisp. Allow the cooked bacon to rest on paper towels and save three tablespoons of bacon fat.
- In a medium sauce pan, place cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, heavy cream, hot sauce, mustard, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Cook over medium heat and stir until creamy.
- Chop bacon and add to the cream mixture.
- Clean skillet and add two tablespoons of bacon fat. Saute onions over medium-high heat for about three minutes. Add the last tablespoon of bacon fat and add the mushrooms and saute for five minutes.
- Add the garlic and spinach. Toss to coat the spinach and cook until wilted, about two minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken and cream mixture and heat. Then, pour into an 8X12 inch casserole dish.
- Top with two cups of mozzarella cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Broil to brown for 1-2 minutes.
- Cool for 1 minutes before serving. There will be bit liquid on the bottom, but that will eventually absorb into the mixture. You can also drizzle a little over each portion.
Rice is a popular staple in many kitchens and you don’t have to forego it when it comes to keto! You just need a head of cauliflower and a box grater. Use the medium-size grate. Once you’re done, sauté the cauliflower for 5-7 minutes in oil. If that’s too much work, you can find a bag of frozen or fresh riced cauliflower, so all you have to do is take it out of the freezer and sautee. Then pair it with tofu or shrimp curry for one of the best family-friendly keto meals!
Keto Lo Mein
If your children love Asian takeout, this is the perfect option for family-friendly keto meals. All you need is some zucchinis and a spiralizer! Once you’ve created your ‘zoodles’, cook them on the stovetop or in the oven and add the toppings of your choice. Like noodles, they’re versatile and can be paired with pretty much anything!
There are a million different diets out there and with them, a million different restrictions. When it comes to keto though, there are substitutions that won’t make you miss out! From zucchini noodles to rutabaga chips, these family-friendly keto meals keep you low carb.
Do you have any favorite keto recipes? Share them with other chefs in our comments. Making a diet work for you and your family is all about options, and keto has plenty!