Gardening may be an outdoor activity, but it doesn’t require a yard nowadays! Choose a room in the house and a few precious plants for your own inspired indoor garden. Check out our tips to create a little green oasis indoors!
Spring and summer might be known for getting out in the garden and planting to your heart’s content. But, having a garden is something you can actually do all year round! Whether you want to grow your favorite flower or have a few windowsill plants, there are plenty of options. All that’s required is a little bit of gardening know-how to bring your indoor garden ideas to life!
How Do I Start an Indoor Garden?
There are many ways to make a DIY garden you’ll love, but it can be hard to know where to begin. Finding the right indoor garden area is a good starting place. Whether it’s the kitchen or the bathroom, your space will provide a possibility for what you can and can’t do indoors.
It will also help you to figure out what plants you can and can’t grow for your garden. Opt for a few favorites so that everything has enough room to grow. Soon, you’ll be ready to be the gardener in your very own mini greenhouse! You may even want to make suggestions for which vegetables or herbs to grow with others on your favorite family app.
What Are the Best Vegetable Plants for Indoor Gardening?
It’s easy to get carried away with all the indoor garden benefits there are! Fortunately for you, there are some plants that rise above others when it comes to indoor life. Our favorite vegetables to grow indoors are:
- Carrots – This brightly colored veggie is full of thiamin, potassium, and carotenoids, making it one of the best vegetables around! And, all you need to grow it indoors is a pot or window box with drainage holes. Simply plant the carrot seeds one-inch apart, cover with soil, and place in a well-lit area.
- Lettuce Greens – Greens like romaine lettuce are indoor garden essentials that pack a nutritional punch! Start with a planter box that has drainage holes. You can poke holes in soil four inches apart and sprinkle a few seeds in each hole. It’s important that the plant is always moist, and only pull off outer leaves so the plant continues to grow!
- Mushrooms – These might be an easy vegetable to forget about, but they add a lot to almost any dish! You’ll love this flavorful food in your dinner line up. Simply purchase a kit or grow them in a laundry basket for your indoor garden at home. Share your mushroom-growing tips with others on FamilyApp!
How Do You Grow an Indoor Herb Garden
When you are a new gardener, you might want to start with an indoor herb garden instead of planting veggies right away. This is also a good idea as herbs add a little special twist to every meal. So you should definitely give planting herbs indoors a try! These herbs are our favorites as you can add them to nearly every meal:
- Rosemary – This may be one of the most popular plants in a herb garden, but rosemary has health potential too! It contains carnosic acid, an antioxidant that helps with weight control and cholesterol. Simply plant seeds in a container filled with two-parts potting soil and one-part sand. It’s ready for water when the soil is dry on top.
- Basil – This might be one of the most popular herbs around, providing lots of vitamin A and antioxidants. It is mostly used fresh and especially in Italian cuisine. Basil makes a perfect combination with all things tomato-ish. This herb is also perfect for a DIY indoor herb garden as it grows fast and doesn’t need much care. You can easily grow it in a container on your kitchen windowsill.
- Parsley – This herb also pairs well with most dishes. Gardening parsley indoors is also easy, as long as you choose a spot where it gets six to eight hours of sunlight per day. A windowsill directing to the South is the perfect place for a pot or container with this plant. So parsley is an absolute must for your DIY indoor herb garden.
What Are Some Indoor Gardening Tips?
Whether you’re a novice green thumb or just looking for tips, there are ways to make your indoor garden grow. Share your best ideas with others on a family app!
- Start at the Bottom – Most people water plants from the top. However, it can actually be difficult for water to reach to the root of your flowers, herbs, or veggies. Instead, try adding a dish under your plant so it can pull water through the drainage holes. You may even want to try misting them with water for added moisture!
- Find the Right Spot – There’s more to indoor garden design ideas than placing your plants wherever. In fact, the ideal DIY garden maximizes the light of your room and its aesthetic appeal! Make sure you seek out the right spot for each one so it will get what it needs.
- Don’t Forget Fertilizer – Few things will help your plants on their way like a bit of fertilizer. While you can follow the instructions on your chosen product, a typical liquid fertilizer can be used every two to four weeks.
Gardening outside might be pretty common, but not everyone has the option of a yard. Fortunately, gardening indoors means you can enjoy all the pleasures of plants without leaving your house. Do you have any tips for an indoor garden? Share them with us in our comments! Wherever you choose to prune your houseplants, there are options galore when it comes to DIY indoor gardening.