The holidays are a time best spent with family and friends. Watch one of the following family Christmas movies to create fun and festive memories together!
There’s something to be said for spending time with the family over the holidays. Whether it’s baking cookies or sitting by the fire, you can make such precious memories! Many families enjoy celebrating the season watching a festive holiday film together. With plenty of family Christmas movies to watch, there’s something for everyone.
Favorite Christmas Cartoons
Kids of all ages will love cartoon Christmas classics. Here are some great family Christmas movies to choose from.
- Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas– An updated version of this movie may have been made featuring Jim Carrey. But, it’s the cartoon classic from 1966 that is worth a watch with your family. Your heart might also grow three sizes after watching this Christmas favorite!
- The Grinch (2018)- And if you’re still looking for more cartoon Grinch Christmas movies after you’ve watched the classic, an updated version with a new and exciting plot was released just last year.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas- Join Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the rest of the Peanuts Gang as they discover the true meaning of Christmas. Not only does this classic have one of the best musical soundtracks, but it also has some amazing dancing!
- The Nightmare Before Christmas – Tim Burton may have made many classic films to last the ages, and this film is no different! As a Halloween-inspired Christmas movie, you can creep along with Jack Skellington as he tries to take on Christmas. If your kids aren’t quite ready for the season, this film is a good place to start.
Vintage Family Christmas Movies
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer – This 1964 classic still has plenty of charm! Watch Rudolph as he becomes the reindeer we’ve all come to love, guiding Santa’s sleigh on Christmas Eve! Whether your kids love Rudolph, Santa or Yukon Cornelius, this is among the top family Christmas movies of all time.
- The Muppet Christmas Carol – This tale has been told in many different ways, but the Muppets offer a version you’ll have to see. If the classic ‘Christmas Carol’ is too old for your kids, this puppet-friendly version will make them laugh. After all, it’s hard to take anything too seriously with Miss Piggy, Kermit, and Gonzo.
- White Christmas- Another vintage classic, but this 1940s Christmas movie is sure to delight all ages!
More Family Favorites
From Miracle on 34th Street to A Christmas Story, it’s hard to determine what the best family Christmas movies are. But whatever your family prefers, the following movies will be high on the list!
- Home Alone – It’s hard to believe there was a time when Home Alone wasn’t a Christmas classic! Featuring Macaulay Culkin as youngster Kevin McCallister who’s left alone for Christmas, this film is full of fun capers. While some parts of the movie may scare the little ones, it’s great watching for the whole family.
- Elf – Few funny family Christmas movies in recent years have gained the following of Elf. Fortunately, from cotton-headed ninny muggins to maple syrup, there’s little not to love about this film! Following a 6’ elf as he finds his father in New York, this movie summons “Christmas cheer…for all to hear”.
- Polar Express- Follow the adventures of a young boy doubting Christmas as he boards a mysterious train heading for the north pole! The Polar Express is sure to bring smiles and Christmas spirit for all.
- Santa Clause- Join Tim Allen as he unknowingly takes on the role of Santa after a wild series of events. The humor is fresh and is funny for both younger and older crowds. Everyone wins with Santa Clause!
What are some family Christmas movies for adults and teens?
Your teenagers might not be so fond of the Muppets or Rudolph. But there are still Christmas movies that will appeal to them, no matter what their movie taste is!
- Christmas Vacation- Join the Griswolds on a delightful Christmas vacation, full of festive lights and crazy family adventure! While Christmas Vacation is pretty mild, there’s a little bit of language and sensuality that might not suit younger viewers.
- Gremlins – These furry creatures might not be the first thing you think of when it comes to Christmas. But, this slightly scary Christmas movie starts when a teenager gets gifted with one named Gizmo. With a lot of ensuing antics, Gremlins is a great film for teens that aren’t big on Christmas!
The holidays are a great time for getting together with family and friends. Fortunately, there are a lot of festive movies that everyone will enjoy. Are there some favorite family Christmas movies of yours that aren’t on our list? If so, let us know which ones in our comments! Whether you sit down with Rudolph or the Grinch, every Christmas classic movie will make for festive memories