You may have started to notice beautiful murals popping up along the streets of Virginia Beach. Just a short walk from the Virginia Beach Oceanfront between 17th and 22nd streets, this new art and cultural hub called the ViBe Creative District has fantastic places to explore.
Life in the ViBe Creative District
The ViBe Creative District has become the Virginia Beach center for art, dining, shopping, and culture. Here are some of our favorites:
Favorite Networking Spot: 1701
Have you heard about 1701, Virginia Beach’s first coworking space? Nestled in the heart of the ViBe District, they opened their doors in June 2017. Ever since then, 1701 has been a hub for entrepreneurs, freelancers, creatives, startups, and remote workers from all over Hampton Roads. Pop in to see their on-going Featured Artists: Susan Werby, Evan Sokal, Marlowe Emerson, Kelsey Witt, Mary Culling, Tara McDaniel, Bobby Sharon of Sharon’s Original Oil Paintings, Rebecca Lucy McCurdy, Maple and Belmont, and Karl Greaves.
Make sure to go to the back of the building to see to check out the Jeremiah Kille’s mural and Evan Sokal’s 1701 bubble on the front. Did you know that their community has nearly 80 members? You can schedule a tour, or even spend the day working there!
Favorite Way to Shop ’til you drop in the ViBe Creative District!
It seems like new shops are popping up here all the time! Here are some favorite places to add some style to your life!
- Be sure to swing into North End Bag Co. to see their beautiful expansion, especially their brand new releases of colors, and be sure to say hi to their mascot Otis!
- Stop by Fabré for all things Fashion, jewelry, and shoes.
- French Twist Boutique, just down the street has beautiful fashion, and they also support local artists: Reba Arts, Karyn Shonk, FEW Made Jewelry, APOTHEC, Philip Gould furniture, Local Bag, Ashton Keely, Little Beach Tree and more!
- You can find all that you need at 17th Street Marketplace, look for the bright yellow building, and you know you’re in the right place!
Drink and be merry–favorite places for drinks in the ViBe
The ViBe has a bunch of fantastic drink options for all ages. Coffee, ciders, teas and more can be found on almost every corner. Ask a friend to meet you for a date, the ambiance of each location has it’s own perks, and the people watching is always on point!
Sit on the porch at Bad Ass Coffee – Virginia Beach Oceanfront. Plop yourself at a table under the sea of OnieTonie’s color murals at Java Surf Cafe & Espresso Bar. Or breathe in Three Ships Coffee as you check out their local wildlife garden along the side of the building and say hi to the rest of the tenants of The Alley. Don’t forget about Fathom Coffee, located right inside of 1701.
Don’t forget to pop by Chesapeake Bay Distillery, for their Locally made, award-winning Vodka and Rum Tastings PLUS Local Artwork by local artwork on display in the Tasting Room. Be sure to check out Esoteric for their “Last Meeting of the Day” from 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. on Fridays, and try their NEW seasonal cocktails (pictured above).
Dig in! Favorite ViBe Creative District restaurants
As home to several of the best local restaurants, here are some of the best:
- You cannot go wrong with a burger from Barrel 17, and be sure to check out their brand new mural on the left side of the building!
- The Beach Bully is a kid favorite – and you can get this to go too.
- Everyone is happy at Commune, and their seasonal, locally sourced food keeps their customers returning often to dive in.
- Croc’s 19th Street Bistro is warm and cozy, and the happening place to be – especially on Sundays!
- Esoteric has a warm and cozy ambiance, gorgeous garden, and a bustling kitchen tucked into the center of it all.
- Hearth Wood Fired Cuisine & Craft Beer is well known for their delicious food and famous pizzas!
- The Stockpot has Monday Ramen nights, but is always open for breakfasts and lunches.
- Don’t forget Zeros Subs Oceanfront one of our go-to places for kid-friendly takeout!
Favorite way to spend Saturday morning: Old Beach Farmer’s Market
There’s no better way to start your weekend than walking through the Old Beach Farmer’s Market! In the Croc’s parking lot, you’ll find an assortment of local produce, delicious food, art, and much more. Bring your reusable bags or baskets, and do your week of grocery shopping here. You can even buy fresh cut flowers to brighten up your home or munch on a delicious breakfast burrito!
Illustration: Visit Virginia Beach
Map of the ViBe Creative District, circa 2016
There are so many amazing things to see and do in the ViBe Creative District! What are your personal favorites? Be sure to check it out with your loved ones, and share your best photos with them on FamilyApp! ViBe First Friday is a great time to go!