Tired of wearing the same old outfits? We’ll show you how a wardrobe full of jeans and tee shirts can be anything but boring!
No jeans is like the other – and the same goes for stylish moms, too! We introduce you to six ways to wear jeans with T-shirts:
- wide-leg jeans
- jean shorts
- ripped jeans
- slim jeans
- elegant jeans
- statement jeans
1. Iconic American Style with Wide-Leg Jeans
When you think of “classic American style,” various combinations of jeans and tee shirts probably come to mind. At their best, they’re fashion chameleons. You could see them on runway models at Fashion Week, or in hoodie-clad teenagers strolling through the mall.
You can wear them as streetwear or workwear; with fancy sequins or casual crop tops; colored or blue; denim skirts or blouses…the list goes on! And with all the different brands of denim around – Levi’s, Pepe, AG, Lee, Madewell, Lee, Paige… – it can be overwhelming!
But despite the potential for denim pants, they can be boring, too. If you’re anything like me, it’s very easy to get into a style rut. No matter what trends come and go, your jeans and tees will always be there for you. They might undergo some style tweaks, but they’ve got your butt!
Here are six different moms in jeans and tees (though none in “mom jeans”) to give you different ideas to spice up this tried and true combination!
Stylish and Fun Ways to Wear Jeans
Riya’s outfit works so well because of its versatility. She’s very on-trend with her wide-leg jeans and wedges, and could confidently go out to brunch with friends or meet with colleagues in many professional settings. But she’s also looking great hanging out with her family, and not taking herself too seriously.
Riya’s fashion takeaways:
- Wide-leg pants are back! They might not make you say goodbye forever to your skinny jeans or jeggings, but if you’ve ever wanted to try a flowy silhouette like bootcut jeans or Palazzo pants, this is your year!
- As great as her outfit is, the most gorgeous part is the look of pure joy as Riya shares a fun moment with her son.
2. Effortlessly Cool Cut Offs: Jean Shorts
The beauty of this beachy look is how it looks fantastic, but doesn’t require a lot of effort. Michelle keeps her accessories to a minimum, but her statement sunglasses pull the look together. She could be going to a fun night out; she could be dropping her kids off at preschool– it doesn’t matter. Whatever she’s doing in this outfit, she looks great!
Michelle’s fashion takeaways:
- Enjoy the last few weeks of warmer weather with jean shorts, giving your outfits a cool vibe without causing you to work up a sweat.
- Look for tee shirts with interesting details, like this neckline.
- Fabulous sunglasses make every outfit look better.
3. Dress Up Ripped Jeans with a Blazer
Jen’s one of our favorite local style icons. Looking at the way she pairs her ripped black pants with a smart houndstooth blazer, it’s easy to see why. A traditional blazer could look too conservative in the wrong setting, or overly ripped jeans could look sloppy. But by choosing her great individual pieces and marrying them in an unexpected way, she has created a sophisticated, yet edgy look.
Jen’s style takeaways:
- Red lipstick brings the perfect amount of oomph to any outfit, especially when you’re wearing neutrals.
- Embrace layers! The blazer paired over the sweater and tee look fantastic together.
Two Great Outfits with Jeans, One Preschool Pick-Up
Both of these moms look fantastic in their outfits! They’re a lovely illustration of how you can dress them up or down. Tessa’s white pants and amazing vintage pink blazer are a great way to dress up her jeans and tee shirt ensemble. Anne’s casual chic vibe is practical, but her tasteful accessories give a simple look a little extra pop without being overpowering.
What can we learn from these two jeans styles? Your jeans and tee shirt look can be equally amazing whether you dress them up or down. Also, you don’t have to pay a lot of money for great style. Tessa got her blazer at a thrift store, but she looks like a million bucks!
4. Anne’s style takeaways with Slim Jeans
- Great tennis shoes add a fun vibe and visual interest to the outfit. Plus, they’re extremely practical for keeping up with her children.
- Simple, elegant accessories, with her coordinated necklace and earrings, give her outfit a polished look.
5. Tessa’s style takeaways with Elegegant Jeans
- Mix the dressy elements of wedges and a blazer with the casual statement tee to add a cool vibe to your ensemble.
- Pair heels with jeans to elongate your legs so you can look like a rock star.
6. Make A Statement With Your Jeans
As great as neutrals look with jeans and tees, you don’t have to shy away from color! Anyone who wears a neon shirt like this FamilyApp one is not looking to blend into the background, so it’s okay to embrace the color with more color and big accessories.
So my statement earrings are kind in keeping with the rest of this bold look. The fact that I’m not a petite person also helps me pull off oversized accessories since they look somewhat proportional with the rest of my 5’11” frame.
I really tried hard to make this look work with my cotton Gap utility jacket similar to this one, but my 7 and 9-year-olds were all too happy to let me know that I am just not cool enough to pull that off with a neon green tee. Instead, I embraced my inner leprechaun and quarter Irish heritage with this green blazer (which is still on sale at Boden).
I don’t know if I have the cajones to wear this combo in public– stay tuned for that– but seeing a splash of color, whether on my clothes or in my environment always makes me happy, and that’s what style is all about.
My fashion takeaways:
- A great statement piece, like a handbag, earrings, or fabulous pair of Italian shoes, can make an otherwise boring outfit really pop.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with bright colors. But if you’re feeling really insecure about your outfit before you leave the house, abort mission! Even if you look objectively amazing, you’ll feel self-conscious the whole time.
- NYDJ jeans (like the ones I’m wearing) are kind of the Spanx version of jeans. If your stomach has seen better days, invest in a pair of these. You can always find them on sale, too!
Jeans Style Combos
These six ensembles only scratch the surface with the places you can take jeans and tee shirts! What are your favorite ways to wear this combo? Be sure to tag us @getfamilyapp and your amazing outfits on social media!
Want more style tips? Check out these articles: