There’s no time like the start of the school year to kick off old habits and start anew. If you’re considering a detox diet plan, here are some tips on how to cleanse your body from the inside out!
As COVID-19 restrictions are starting to lift and people are coming out of quarantine, now is the time to start a healthier lifestyle. And, some people choose to embark on the summer change by trying a new diet. As a means to detoxify the system, a detox diet body cleanse can help refresh and nourish your body. While the jury’s out on the effectiveness of a detox, here’s what you need to know if you’re contemplating this option! Share your experiences with others on your favorite family app.
What Is a Detox Diet?
A detox diet is a special diet where you eat particular foods only with the main goal of detoxifying the body. Detox diets are a quick way to kickstart longer-term healthy lifestyle goals. So they’re not supposed to last forever. While these plans are generally short term and most people lose a little weight, the goal is not weight loss alone. In fact, people do these diets to detox the body by eliminating toxins and boosting the immune system. This will usually involve a period where you consume foods like fruit, vegetables, fruit juices, herbs, water, and supplements.
As detox diets are relatively new there is only a little proof of their health impact. Only a few studies have been done on the efficacy of body cleanse benefits. However, while many detox plans claim that they can stimulate your liver to get rid of toxins and improve circulation, many experts also warn against false promises by producers.
What Are Toxins in the Body?
Toxins are small substances in our body that are supposed to be “toxic”, meaning they can cause damage or disease. They are mostly produced in the inner organs of our digestive system like the liver. There are many toxins in the body that people may want to minimize to get a new lease on life. A detox diet cleanse might just be a good reason to avoid the following favorite foods that can contain large quantities of toxins.
What Foods Have a Lot of Toxins in Them?
As a general rule, these categories of food will either add to the number of toxins you consume or inhibit your body’s ability to process them. So you will probably avoid them on a cleanse. Keep in mind, the quality of your foods and supplements matters, so organic grass-fed meat will have fewer toxins and hormones in it than cheaper counterparts.
- Alcohol – We all know that the liver has to work a lot to break down alcohol. Consuming alcohol can also lead to dehydration. If you’re embarking on a body detox, avoiding alcohol can give your liver a break and help remedy dehydration.
- Red meat – Meat products are the main source of protein for many people. However, these products are often high in saturated fat. They may also contain hormones and additives that are bad for the body. Most cleanses will generally include abstaining from meat products. especially red meat.
- Salt – Salt may be an important part of our diet, but when it comes to this ingredient it’s all about quantity. Excess salt can lead to hypertension and bloating, so detoxing for a week can provide a breather. The quality of your salt might also play a role in your body’s ability to detox. So sea salts might be permitted, whereas table salt could be a no-no.
- Refined sugar – Many of us just can’t resist sugar, and we get quite a lot of it during the holidays! Unfortunately, the energy boost it provides is often followed by lethargy. So eating sugar can lead to highs and lows that put stress on the system. Share your tips for reducing sugar on a body cleanse diet plan on FamilyApp!
Which Detox Diet Is Best for Weight Loss?
There are many ways to do a detox diet, ranging from complete fasting to easier food modifications. The following are the most common detox methods that can be done with adaptations.
- Juice Cleanses – This diet provides your body with big doses of phytonutrients since you can consume fresh fruit juices, vegetable juices, smoothies, water, and tea. Some companies even offer a juice subscription for this detox option. It’s important to keep in mind that even though your body will get lots of vitamins from fruits and vegetables, this restrictive plan might leave you lacking other nutrients. Some even combine chicken stock, bone broth, or nut milk with the juices to add in some extra minerals.
- Low-Carb Body Reset – Diet plans like Atkins and South Beach often suggest a body cleanse from certain foods at the beginning. These diets can be a better option for long-term weight loss as they eventually incorporate all the food groups. These diets will have you avoiding refined sugar and carbs, but you can enjoy meat and fish.
- Lemon Juice – This detox diet is well-known, but it is one of the most restrictive diets there is. For 1-2 weeks, users can only drink water or a concoction of lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper, and water. If you’ve tried this cleanse, tell others about in on your favorite family app!
Here’s a great recipe for Skinny Lemonade that you can use with any cleanse to jumpstart the detox process. Many even simplify it more just squeezing fresh lemon juice or apple cider vinegar into warm water to jumpstart your body in the morning after you wake up.
- Lemon juicer
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (around 6-7 average lemons)
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 tbsp powdered stevia (other sweeteners work too)
- Add all ingredients to large pitcher
- stir until preferred sweetener is fully dissolved
- serve on ice immediately!
Start Your Detox Diet Cleanse
The aftermath of holiday eating can be the best motivation for embarking on a healthy diet in the New Year! While many people like the idea of detox diet benefits, it’s important to be careful if you’re cleansing your body. Some diets can be too restrictive and may not have the effects you’re looking for. Do you have any body cleanse suggestions? Share them with others in our comments! While feeling healthy is an important part of well-being, solutions that provide all the nutrients needed are best.