Winter may be a hard season to weather, but winter hair care is tough too. Fortunately, with a few tricks of the trade, your mane can stay smooth into spring!
Even when winter is mild, it can wreak havoc on the skin and the hair. With the dry conditions, it can be hard to stay hydrated and keep the moisture in. Fortunately, without succumbing to the season, there are ways to keep your hair healthy and smooth. Whether you try out some tips or test a recipe, winter hair care remedies are just a scroll away!
What are some winter hair care tips?
From skin care to hair care, our regular beauty routine is more difficult to manage in the winter months! Yet, there are a few things women, men and kids can do to avoid the winter woes. When it comes to the entire family, a humidifier can help to improve the amount of moisture in your house. This means more moisture in the hair, and less hairstyle mishaps! Of course, it’s also a good idea to keep your styling simple. Blow-drying and hair straightening dry out the hair, so cutting down on these things is key. Here are a few winter hair care tips and recipes you can also use to get through the season.
How can I protect my hair in winter?
Different hair types have different needs. But, don’t relegate your hair to a ponytail and give up on winter hair care! There are ways that to help your hair, no matter what type it is.
- Thick Hair– Cold air in winter can lead to a lot of frizz if you happen to have thick hair. Fortunately, a winter hair care shampoo can go a long way! Try using a moisture-rich shampoo and conditioner for added hydration. If you need added boost, try a serum on clean, damp hair.
- Straight Hair– Winter can dry out your roots and lead to oil if you have flat hair. Add that to dry-hair flyaways, and you’ll have bad hair on your hands! To avoid this, stay away from rich conditioners and apply conditioner only to the ends. You may even want to try a leave-in spray for added benefit!
- Curly Hair – It may be the envy of many, but curly hair is hard to maintain even on a good day! When it comes to winter hair care, use a moisturizing shampoo and mask once a week to stay frizz free.
What home remedies can I use for damaged hair?
The right winter hair care products can do wonders. But, there are a few at-home remedies you can make to give your tresses a bit of oomph! Instead of heading to the drugstore, try winter hair care at home for dry, flat or frizzy hair.
- Dry Hair Doozy– Blend 2 Tbsp. argan oil, 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar, ½ an avocado and 10 drops of rosemary oil. Work it from roots to tips and leave in for 15 minutes. Once done, rinse and cleanse the hair. This will remove product build-up, soften the hair and improve a dry scalp.
- Lose Limp Hair– Mix 1 tsp. oil, 1 egg and ½ cup flat beer together. Apply to clean, damp hair and leave for 15 minutes. Once done, rinse with cool water. It might sound strange, but the hops in beer will add instant body for easy winter hair care!
- Amp up Shine – Blend half a slightly cooked sweet potato, ½ cup gooseberries (or substitution), ½ red bell pepper and 3 strawberries. When smooth, apply to the scalp and hair and leave on for 25 minutes. You can even try a mask with buttermilk to get smooth, shiny hair!
- Fight Flyaways – Make a hair wax in your own home! Take 6 grams beeswax, candelilla wax or carnauba wax. Melt in a pot. Turn the heat low and add 10 grams each of sesame seed oil, coconut oil, castor oil and jojoba oil. Pour the mixture into a glass container and add an essential oil of your choice!
It can be hard to stay inside for winter, but there are ways to save your hair without hiding out. Do you have some tips on natural hair care remedies? Share some of them with us on FamilyApp! Whether it’s winter hair care masks or the right conditioner, there’s a solution for every hair type!