Winter may be a hard season, but winter hair care is tough too. Fortunately, with a few tricks of the trade, your mane can stay smooth into spring!
Even when winter is mild, it can wreak havoc on the skin and the hair. With the dry conditions, it can be hard to stay hydrated and keep the moisture in. Fortunately, without succumbing to the season, there are ways to keep your hair healthy and smooth. Whether you try out some tips or test a recipe, hair care remedies are just a scroll away!
How to Take Care of Winter Hair
From skincare to hair care, our regular beauty routine is more difficult to manage in the colder months! Yet, there are a few things women, men, and kids can do to avoid the winter woes. Generally, cold weather causes dryness that can lead to breakage and split ends. When it comes to the entire family, a humidifier can improve the amount of moisture in your house. This means more moisture in the hair and fewer hairstyle mishaps!
You should also add hair masks and oils to moisturize your hair to your winter hair care routine. Don’t just focus on shampoo and conditioners. You want to hydrate the scalp instead of drying it out even more. Of course, it’s also a good idea to keep your winter hair styling simple. Blow-drying and hair straightening dry out the hair, so cutting down on these things is key.
Here are a few winter hair care tips and recipes you can also use to get through the season.
Shiny Winter Hair – Tips For All Textures
Different hair types have different needs. But don’t relegate your hair to a ponytail and give up! There are ways to help your hair, no matter what type it is.
- Thick Hair– Cold air in winter can lead to a lot of frizz if you happen to have thick hair. However, a moisturizing shampoo can go a long way! Try using a moisture-rich shampoo and conditioner for added hydration. If you need an added boost, try a serum on clean, damp hair. We really like Moroccanoil.
- Straight Hair– Winter can dry out your roots and lead to an oily scalp if you have flat hair. Add that to dry-hair flyaways, and you’ll have bad hair on your hands! To avoid this, stay away from rich conditioners and apply conditioner only to the ends. You may even want to try a leave-in spray for added benefit!
- Curly Hair– It may be the envy of many, but curly hair is hard to maintain even on a good day! When it comes to winter hair care, use a moisturizing shampoo, hydrating conditioner, and hair mask once a week to stay frizz-free.
What Home Remedies Can I Use For Damaged Hair?
The right winter hair care products can do wonders. But there are a few at-home remedies you can make to give your tresses a bit of oomph! Instead of heading to the drugstore, try winter hair care at home for dry, flat, or frizzy hair.
Winter Hair Doozy
This hair mask will remove product build-up, soften the hair, and moisturize a dry scalp.
Restorative Hair Mask
- Mixing bowl
- 1 Tbsp Argan oil
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 10 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- 1 egg yolk
- Blend all the ingredients together in mixing bowl or blender.
- Work the mask in your hair from roots to tips.
- Leave in for 15 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly when done.
Boost Limp Hair
Mix 1 tsp. oil, 1 egg, and ½ cup flat beer together. Apply to clean, damp hair, and leave in for 15 minutes. Once done, rinse with cool water. It might sound strange, but the hops in beer will add instant body for easy winter hair care!
Amp Up the Shine
Blend half a slightly cooked sweet potato, ½ cup gooseberries (or substitution like cranberries), ½ red bell pepper, and 3 strawberries. When smooth, apply to the scalp and hair and leave on for 25 minutes. You can even try a hair mask with buttermilk to get smooth, shiny hair!
Make a hair wax in your own home! Take 6 grams beeswax, candelilla wax, or carnauba wax. Melt in a pot. Turn the heat low and add 10 grams each of sesame seed oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and jojoba oil. Pour the mixture into a glass container and add an essential oil of your choice!
It can be hard to stay inside for winter, but there are ways to save your hair without hiding out. Do you have some tips on natural hair care remedies? Share some of them with us on FamilyApp! Whether it’s winter hair care masks or the right conditioner, there’s a solution for every hair type!