It can be hard to break from the formula of the tried and true family meal! Fortunately, these great family dinners offer up some rewarding new ideas everyone will love.
Whether it’s macaroni and cheese or Grandma’s chicken soup, there are plenty of recipes every family lives by. But it can be easy to get stuck in a rut when it comes to family dinners. Luckily, there is help on the way with some of the following recipes! Whether you’re looking for healthy options or unique meal ideas, the whole family may find a new favorite.
What are some great family dinners?
Kids may love to eat hamburgers, pasta and pizza. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t healthy family dinners they’ll still enjoy! Instead of going for more standard fare, try one of these appetite inducers.
- Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple – The whole family will love this lighthearted twist on the classic taco. Instead of beef, get out the frozen or fresh shrimp! With some avocado, red onion and grilled pineapple, you’ll have a super supper.
- Glazed Chicken & Broccoli – This balanced dinner is great for getting in all the essential food groups. All you have to do is take teriyaki-tossed chicken drumsticks alongside broccoli and throw them on the sheet pan. For extra oomph, add fingerling or sweet potatoes.
- Salmon Cakes & Salad – Whether you buy these from the store or throw them together yourself, salmon cakes are a tasty option. They can also be one of the best family dinners to make together! For a well-balanced meal, add green salad or soup.
What is a good Sunday dinner?
There’s nothing like hearty soup or stew on a weekend to make one feel right at home. Luckily, these tasty family dinners get in all the vegetables and protein your family will need.
- Potato Kielbasa Skillet – If you’re searching for family dinners for picky eaters, this spicy recipe steals the show! Simply sauté onion and cajun sausage, add potatoes and then a brown sugar sauce. Since it’s easy and tasty, it’s also great to share with other parents on FamilyApp!
- Beef Chili – If you have a little more time, this slow cooker chili will impress even the toughest little food critics! By adding together chilies, cooked ground beef, and onion and garlic, you’ll have a stellar bowl of stew. You just have to let it sit in the slow cooker for a few hours.
What are some good comfort foods?
If soup or stew isn’t your thing, there are other options for family dinners to fill up your kids fast! Fortunately, they also offer unique takes on old flavors that everyone will enjoy.
- Creamy Enchiladas – Whether you try chicken enchiladas or a vegetarian version, this is one of the best family dinners on a budget. Add mozzarella cheese, green chili sauce, and stuff enchilada shells for a warming winter meal!
- Meatball Marsala – If your children love meatballs and mushrooms, this is the perfect dinner for a comforting weeknight inside. And, by balancing it out with a Yukon potato mash the whole family will be in heaven.
- Tortellini with Kale Pesto – You can try spinach and cheese or chicken tortellini for one of the most delicious family dinners. This cheesy pasta dish is also covered in kale, so your kids will get their leafy greens in too.
It can be easy to get into a routine with family dinner, but there are plenty of dinners everyone will love that don’t have to be difficult! Does your family have a favorite meal? Share some of your best family dinners in our comments or discuss them in our FamilyApp! Whether you’re looking for lighter fare or a few winter comfort foods, there are inspired options to suit everyone.