Looking for some new healthy snacks for kids to fuel their active bodies? Read on for some delicious kid-friendly ideas.
As a parent, it can be all-too-easy to get stuck in a snacking rut, but snack time doesn’t have to be so hard! Consider some of the following healthy snacks for kids that are both nutritious and really tasty. That way you can spend more time enjoying your kids, instead of preparing yet another meal.
Some of the best snacks your family might come straight from your garden: fruit and vegetables. The following healthy snacks for toddlers or teens are as yummy as they are nutritious.
- Fruit Salad – Whatever fruits you choose, this is one of the easiest ways to get your kids into the sweet treat. Try cutting up bananas, oranges, and strawberries for a snack that’s super healthy!
- Fresh Fruit – Not up for making a fruit salad? No worries! Your kids can enjoy an apple, clementine, or any favorite fruit on its own. If you want an added protein boost, try dipping apple or carrot slices in yogurt, hummus, or peanut butter.
- Strawberry Smoothie – Smoothies are extremely easy to make with the right blender, and they’re also one of the best healthy snacks for work that you can take to go! Try strawberries, spinach, Greek yogurt, and milk for a simply divine delight. It's also an ideal breakfast that's naturally sweet with no added sugar.
- Veggies & Dip – It might not be the most creative snack, but this is one of the best healthy snacks for kid’s lunches! Cut up some tomato, zucchini, and carrots and dip them in hummus, ranch dressing, or cottage cheese. You could also add some pretzels and crackers to your veggie dip for some extra crunch.
- Kale Chips– If you have kids who are resistant to veggies but love chips and french fries, these might be a big hit. They're easy to bake, too!
Starches like sweet potatoes and whole wheat bread are ideal for filling your children up. Luckily, these healthy snacks for kids on the go are also easy to make!
- Sweet Potato Muffins – The starchy sweetness of muffins might make them a kids’ favorite. And you can really pump up the nutritional factor of the common muffin by adding sweet potatoes. Your children or your spouse will be happy to throw these into their lunch bags!
- Chips & Salsa – This may sound like a sodium-laden snack. However, you can easily cut up pitas or tortillas for a much healthier version. And, if you want to make your own salsa from scratch, this snack is full of health potential.
- Toast & Peanut Butter – If peanut butter is wrong, I don't want to be right. And this snack choice is full of protein and healthy fat, making it perfect with toast or whole-grain crackers. If peanut butter isn't your favorite, opt for almond, cashew, or sun butter for one of the best healthy snacks on the go. Add some fruit or chia seeds for an even greater nutrient boost to this grab-and-go snack!
The following desserts still offer nutrients while sweetening up the deal. You may even want to share these fun treats with others on FamilyApp.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies – It may not be high on the healthy snacks list. But, you can make this old favorite a little healthier by using whole-wheat flour. You may even be able to replace some of the butter with applesauce for added nutrition! We're big fans of using chickpeas in our chocolate chip cookies for an extra fiber boost.
- Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn – Popcorn isn't exactly veggie sticks, but it's a relatively nutritious snack. Instead of the standard, try it topped with cinnamon and sugar for a sweet take on the salty staple.
- Yogurt Parfait– If you want the look and feel of an ice cream sundae, but not the added sugar and calories, make-your-own yogurt parfait. Top your favorite yogurt with fruit and whole-grain granola toppings for a beautifully delicious treat for your little ones.
Snack time is a wonderful time to connect with your kids after a long school day, and giving them whole-grain snacks that fuel their bodies and minds offers just what they need!
Does your family have some healthy snacks for work or school? Share your go-tos in our comments! Whether you spring for healthy options or satisfy a sweet tooth, the whole family will love these snacks!