Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day, but it’s easy to ignore when you’ve got a busy day ahead of you. Here are a few quick and easy breakfast ideas that won’t slow you down.
Whether you’re dropping the kids off at the bus stop or rushing to the early morning spin class, it’s important to kick start your body with essential nutrients in the morning. But is it possible to keep both your schedule and stomach full at the same time? Of course, it is!
*This article contains affiliate links. It doesn’t cost you anything, but if you click on the link and buy something, we’ll earn a small commission to help our writing team create more great articles.*
Quick and Easy Breakfast Ideas: Smoothies
When a friend of mine started commuting to work with a smoothie in a to-go cup, I thought he’d gone crazy. I had only ever thought of smoothies as desserts. But when I asked him about it, he told me about all the healthy things he was putting in his smoothies– clean protein powder , kale, and other veggies. I gave it a try, and to great surprise, it was delicious. Here’s a healthy breakfast smoothie you can try for yourself. Combine 1 cup frozen blueberries, 1 cup kale, 1 cup almond milk, 2 tbsp almond butter, 2 tbsp chia seeds in a blender. Mix and enjoy!
Frozen fruit and other fresh ingredients take only seconds to blend together, making smoothies the perfect breakfast on the go. If you need another smoothie breakfast option, try this delicious acai bowl recipe!
There are several different ways to make a breakfast sandwich, and some are much healthier than others. A stop at McDonald’s might feel quick and easy, but fast food breakfast can be extremely high in sodium and preservatives. With the right preparation, you can put together a delicious breakfast sandwich right at home!
English muffins, scrambled eggs, and veggies are a great place to start when you want a healthy and savory breakfast meal. Make a few of these sandwiches beforehand and put them in the freezer. Scramble together two eggs, cook with some spinach, top it with a tomato and throw everything together in between any English muffin of your choosing. There are several gluten-free options out there, too.
Quick and Easy Breakfast Ideas: Avocado Toast
Today, a popular breakfast recipe is avocado toast. Spread a layer of ripe avocado over your choice of healthy bread, top with lemon pepper and olive oil and you’re good to go. Yes, it’s really that simple. No one said great breakfast ideas had to be complicated.
If avocado toast isn’t your thing, then peanut butter toast is just as easy. Add some fruit on top of your toast and you’re well on your way to starting the day off right. Some great bread options are sourdough, flax bread, and 100% sprouted rye. If you have peanut butter allergies, substitute the peanut butter with other nut butter.
Make-Ahead Breakfast Ideas
With a little meal-prep, you can save yourself a ton of time on busy mornings without compromising on flavor.
These are a perfect make-ahead meal you can make the night before to make busy mornings a little easier to manage. Oats are gluten-free and full of fiber and antioxidants. Some oatmeal mixes are high in sugar, but homemade oatmeal can be fine-tuned to cut out what you don’t want. With 1 part old-fashioned steel-cut oats, 1 part milk (or alternatives like nut milk or oat milk), 1/8 part chia seeds, these overnight oats are simple and delicious. You can add some extra flavor to your oats with Greek yogurt, vanilla extract, berries, nut butter, honey, or cinnamon. Pop in the fridge overnight, and you’ll have a good-for-you breakfast ready to go in the morning! If regular oatmeal is more up your alley, try some slow-cooker oats instead for a rich, creamy meal.
If you’re looking for something a little heartier for the morning, this is one of my go-to breakfast or brunch dishes. The most basic thing you have to know about quiche: whisk together 1 part eggs and 2 parts milk. For the rest, you can use whatever’s in the fridge! Some of my favorite ingredients include spinach, onions, ham, bacon, bell peppers, or goat cheese. Season with salt and pepper to your own taste. Pour it into a pre-made flaky crust and bake for 30-40 minutes. Boom! Breakfast perfection! Pop it in the fridge, and you’ll have breakfast for the rest of the week!
This always reminds me of the holidays. A bunch of amazing breakfast foods tossed into a casserole dish? A dream. I like to include Italian sausage, onion, garlic, bell pepper, eggs, milk, hash browns, and cheese. You can’t go wrong, and it’s sure to have everyone asking for just one more helping! Make it on Sunday or Monday, put it in the fridge or freezer, and re-heat for a hearty breakfast on-the-go.
Yogurt and Granola Bowls
If hot foods tend to upset your stomach in the morning, there are plenty of simpler options that sit a little lighter. Yogurt and granola is a great easy breakfast to start with.
For those with dairy intolerances, fat-free and pro-biotic yogurts are just as tasty! Scoop a cup or two of your favorite yogurt into a bowl. Then, top with a handful of granola and add top it all off with fruit for some extra flavor. Adding peanut butter or other nut butter is a fast way to get some extra protein, too.
What Are Some Quick and Easy Breakfast Ideas for Kids?
If you’ve got a bunch of hungry little ones, the following easy breakfasts for kids are sure to be a big hit!
- Muffins: You can make them ahead, and if you’re in a rush, they’re easy to eat in the car on the way to school. We’re huge fans of this blueberry muffin recipe, which is a deliciously indulgent treat. Make-ahead on days when you just have time to grab and go!
Blue Ribbon Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter one stick. Make sure it’s softened.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/4 cups fresh blueberries can also use frozen, but fresh are so delicious! You could also sub a different fruit like strawberries if that’s what you have on-hand.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray your muffin tin with non-stick spray and line it with liners.
- Whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Beat the sugar and butter together for about 2 minutes. Once combined, add the eggs one at a time, making sure to beat well after each one. Then add the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Gradually combine the dry mixture into the wet one, making sure to mix well after every cup or so. Add the blueberries to the batter and gently fold them in with your spatula.
- Bake for about thirty minutes until golden.
- Enjoy warm with a little bit of butter, or make-ahead and freeze for up to 3 months. Enjoy!
- Pancakes: You might want to take your time perfecting your pancake skills, but you can combine an instant pancake mix with a cup of water and make an easy pancake breakfast your kids will love!
- French toast: Dip some stale bread in a mixture of eggs, milk, a sprinkle of sugar, and vanilla. Pop your toast on a skillet over low heat, and enjoy some French toast that will melt in your mouth.
- Waffles: The cousin of pancakes, waffles are another easy favorite. Just put your mix in a waffle iron, and wait until the beep indicates your waffles are ready to go!
- Eggs: Whether you love the instant gratification of scrambled eggs or prefer the more portable hard-boiled eggs, these are a perfect protein-filled breakfast.
- Cereal: Just pour some milk and your favorite cereal in a bowl, and breakfast is served!
- Piece of Fruit: When you’re in a rush, it’s a great option to make sure your kids have their nutrients.
Starting Your Day Off Right
These breakfast recipes are just a starting point, and we hope that you’ll find a breakfast routine that fits you best. If you’re into intermittent fasting and usually don’t eat until later in the day, each of these breakfast recipes works great for brunch. You could also opt for breakfast for dinner, and eat these meals at all hours of the day. Check out FamilyApp for more healthy recipe ideas and let us know what foods you like to start your day with!