Having a kitchen you really love is all about maximizing its potential. Whether your ideal kitchen design is L-Shaped, U-Shaped or open, we have some tips to create your space!
Kitchen Design – Planning Your New Family Room
There was a time when the kitchen was simply the place you cooked. It was hidden away until mealtime made it necessary to turn on the stove and heat up the grill. But the dynamics of the family home have changed in recent years! Nowadays, the kitchen often functions as the centerpiece of family life. Instead of gravitating towards the living room, many families are circling back to the kitchen to congregate and socialize.
That’s why having the perfect layout for your kitchen design is an important part of making it a family affair! From countertop or cabinet styles to design ideas and the different kitchen layouts – we’ll guide you through the process!
Where Do You Start with Kitchen Planning?
The most important part of sitting down to plan a kitchen layout is knowing what you want. While you may want to enlist a kitchen planner, the following tips can help you create a modern, designer space.
- Consider Storage – A useful kitchen will have plenty of room to put all of your tools and small appliances. Ensure that your cabinets will hold as much as possible so you don’t have to clutter your counter space. Share your tips for maximizing space with a clever design on your favorite family app!
- Don’t Skimp on Counter Space – One of the most important aspects of a successful kitchen design and renovation is having enough room. Choose a kitchen layout that maximizes your countertop, and a surface that will stand the test of time.
- Think About Safety – There are plenty of ways to get into trouble in the kitchen, whether it’s a greasy floor or sharp cabinet corners. Make sure your kitchen floor layout takes everyday living into account.
- Remember the Work Triangle – It’s a classic design rule that you want to make sure the appliances in your kitchen are easily accessible. Consider how the work triangle of the stove, fridge, and sink will function and incorporate it into your kitchen design checklist. Who cares how pretty your kitchen is if it doesn’t have a good and functional flow!
What Are the Different Kitchen Layouts and Design Styles?
Creating a kitchen that works with your lifestyle is all about exploration, and working within the size and shape of your house. Before you get started, we have some ideas you might want to consider for your kitchen’s new layout. If you have your own design ideas, share them on FamilyApp!
- Galley Kitchen – If you’re dealing with limited space, a galley or double galley kitchen can be optimal. This will run along one or two walls in a straight line. To maximize the kitchen space, consider open shelves or other design features that will expand the space.
- U-Shaped Kitchen – This kitchen design is exactly what it sounds like with the sink, fridge, and stove positioned around three walls. If you don’t have room for a kitchen island, a U-shaped kitchen can make for a great use of space.
- L-Shaped Kitchen – An L-shaped kitchen stretches along two walls. So a sink can go on one wall and the fridge and stove on another. This kitchen design functions best with a window where the cabinets are located along the other wall.
- Open Plan Kitchen – This kind of kitchen has become popular in recent years and if you have space, why not? You’ll likely have room for a kitchen island, and easy access to the living room and the dining room. Share your own layout ideas on your favorite family app!
With all kinds of different kitchen layouts and open floor plans, it’s never been a better time to make your kitchen shine! Do you have any kitchen design advice? Share your kitchen planning with us in our comments! No matter the size or shape of your house, there’s a plan out there that’s perfect for your kitchen renovation.