Maternity clothing you feel comfortable in can make for a much better pregnancy. Learn about the essentials you’ll need to look and feel your best!
It’s certainly exciting to have a baby, but many moms also get excited about pregnancy fashion. After all, as your body changes, there are a few essentials you may not be able to do without! Whether you buy your own or borrow from a friend, comfort can make for an easier pregnancy. It’s just important to keep it simple so you don’t go over the baby budget! Be sure to share your maternity clothing tips with other moms-to-be on your favorite family app.
When Should You Start Wearing Maternity Clothes?
Every woman’s body is different so it’s hard to determine exactly when you’ll have to start wearing maternity clothes. While many women begin to feel the need around twenty weeks, it all depends on your height, body type, and whether this is your first, second, or even fifth pregnancy. You tend to show sooner if you’ve been pregnant before. It’s really all up to you.
If you’re feeling bloated throughout the day and prefer the comfort of spandex, your body might be ready. And, if your bump is peeking out or you’re unable to button up your button-downs, these are surefire signs. Keep in mind that it can be a good idea to hold off on a maternity clothing allowance in your first trimester. It will be hard to foretell the changes ahead, so it’s good to wait a little longer.
What Are Maternity Clothing Essentials?
If you need to invest in maternity pieces, there are a few items that will be more important than others. Share your maternity clothing must-haves on FamilyApp!
- Maternity Belly Band – This is our favorite hack for maternity clothing! With a belly band filling the gap between pants and tops, you have the chance to wear your favorite shirts as long as possible. It’s also great to keep your lower back warm, what can soothe aches due to pregnancy a little.
- Underwear – Like many aspects of maternity wear, comfort is key! That’s why comfortable maternity underwear that molds to your body is your best bet. You can buy official “maternity underwear” but many feel great with either very low-rise underwear that goes under your belly, or stretchy high-waisted underwear. You could also invest in maternity shapewear like Spanx if you want a little extra support.
- Bras – Garments like bras are also perfect for providing a little extra support too! After all, many of them also work as nursing bras when you’re post-pregnancy. Especially at the beginning of your pregnancy, you might need to size up quite a bit in your bra size, and softer cup bras might offer you the most comfort and support.
More Maternity Clothing Basics
In addition to undergarments, it’s important to have a few key pieces of maternity clothing for your pregnancy, and potentially even after that.
- T-Shirts and Tops – They’re the most basic of all garments. That’s why they’re the most important maternity clothing piece to wear! Choose long stretchy tops and t-shirts that mold to your bump in neutral colors and wear them with unbuttoned blouses or unzipped jackets you already own. Another tip: buy nursing tank tops right from the start of your pregnancy, saving money in the long run. Loose-flowing tunics that will also look cute after your pregnancy is over are another great option.
- Maternity Jeans – If you’re an avid wearer of jeans, you won’t want to give them up during your pregnancy. Luckily, you can easily invest in a maternity pair that will offer comfort and style at the same time. You may even want to keep them post-pregnancy! If jeans or pants are too much, a pair of leggings are the best option.
- Maternity Dress – When it comes to maternity dresses, you’ve got lots of options. A fitted maxi-dress can be a fantastic way to show off your bump. Or, you can go with a flowy empire-waist dress that will also look great when you’re post-partum and want a little extra coverage around your midsection. A maternity little black dress is also a good option if you’re looking for something more formal that still feels stylish.
How Do You Save On Maternity Clothes?
While you might have the temptation to splurge on maternity clothes, it’s even better when you can find affordable stylish options. If you want to make your own pieces work, look in your closet for skirts with elastic waistbands, oversized sweaters, and maxi dresses. Empire waist dresses also make especially good options- and can also be great to wear later while breastfeeding.
There are plenty of fabrics and styles that may give you the room you need! You may even want to consider doing a clothing swap or seeing if a friend who was recently pregnant might have some clothes that would work for you.
If you do need to buy, you can find cheap maternity clothing at locales like H&M, Target, Motherhood Maternity, and Old Navy. There are also several consignment stores that feature maternity clothes, so look into those. Another option if you want a bit more flexibility is to simply buy oversized clothes in a size larger than usual. That way, you can wear them with your postpartum body if you don’t bounce back right away.
Maternity Clothing Style
Keeping your maternity purchases simple with a few great basics you can mix and match will help you stay within your budget. But be sure you have at least one special maternity top or dress that makes you feel especially gorgeous. Even if it’s a bit of a splurge! When the rest of your body is changing and growing, it’s important to make sure you have some great pieces that make you feel great about your body.
Share your best finds on your favorite family app!
There’s often so much to do before the baby comes that it’s easy to forget about maternity clothes. Whether you decide to invest or not, the right pieces can be affordable and dress you in style. Do you have any tips for maternity clothing hacks? Share them with other expectant mothers in our comments. With nine months of pregnancy to get through, there’s no sense not having a few pieces you’ll love!