Autumn is an ideal time to perfect your pumpkin recipes! Whether you make puree or pumpkin pie from scratch, there’s a unique pumpkin dish out there all your family members will love.
Fall is a time when everyone starts to get cozy inside to nest for the winter. And, there’s no better ingredient to celebrate the changing season than pumpkin! Whether you prefer butternut squash, Hokkaido, or spaghetti squash, there are plenty of pumpkin recipes around. And the best is: They are so versatile that from a casserole to pumpkin bread or a dessert following turkey, you can test another fall recipe with pumpkin every day!
How Do You Cook Fresh Pumpkin for Recipes?
Some people prefer canned pumpkin, but you don’t have to be an expert to cook your own. Start by looking for ripe pie or sugar pumpkins as they’re easier to work with. Then follow these instructions for cooking fresh pumpkin:
- Wash the pumpkin, set the oven to 400 and line a sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the stem by hitting it hard, or cut it out.
- Cut it in half and remove the pumpkin seeds.
- Place the pumpkin halves face down on the sheet and bake until a knife pierces it, approximately 45 minutes.
- Once done, scoop it out and puree with a food processor or Vitamix.
- Place the puree in a mesh strainer and weigh it down to remove extra liquid. It will take approximately 1-2 hours.
- You can then refrigerate or freeze your fresh pumpkin puree for all kinds of great pumpkin recipes!
What Are Your Favorite Pumpkin Recipes?
Pumpkin is one of the best fruits that autumn offers up. And there are plenty of easy pumpkin recipes that go beyond plain old pie. If you have any favorites, you may even want to share them on FamilyApp!
- Pumpkin Soup with Sausage – Few things can satiate your appetite like comfort food in the winter. That’s why we love this slow-cooker soup with a special ingredient! Simply cook sausage, mushrooms, onions, stock, pumpkin, and seasoning like pumpkin spice. Once items are tender, boil and simmer. You can then add a mixture of water and cornstarch to thicken, bring to a boil and add cheese!
- Pumpkin Pasta – Pumpkin recipes for dinner might be less common, but they can be a great end-of-day option. Start by cooking pasta (you can even get pumpkin pasta from Trader Joe’s) and reserving ¾ cup of pasta water. In a skillet, sauté sausage. Once cooked, add pumpkin, cream cheese, salt, and pepper. Once heated, toss with pasta and some pasta water, and stir in some grating cheese. Sprinkle with cilantro to finish.
- Pumpkin Pie – It might seem commonplace, but there’s nothing like pumpkin pie to ring in autumn! Whether you make the dough from scratch or buy a crust, it can be an opportunity to bake with the kids. Simply add together pumpkin puree, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, ginger, and spices. Bake at 350 degrees until a knife comes out clean.
- Autumn-Inspired Pancakes – If you’re not ready to whip up pumpkin muffins, this simple dish will do! Simply make standard pancakes and add pumpkin pie spice and puree to the mix. For one of the best pumpkin recipes for breakfast or dessert out there, garnish with candied nuts. Share this special treat on your favorite family app!
Favorite fall flavors
From jumping in the leaves to sipping coffee in a warm sweater, there are plenty of things that make fall fun. And few things help to celebrate the season quite like easy pumpkin recipes savory and sweet! Do you have any favorites? Share them with others in our comments! Whether you want to add healthy pumpkin spice to your coffee or make a feast, pumpkin makes for many amazing options.