What young child doesn’t love snuggling with their favorite grown-ups for a good bedtime story? But even though our children will get older, the best children’s books are timeless and can have a lasting impact on their childhood.
Whether your child is five or fifteen, reading is an important part of their self-development and learning. It also has the benefit of cutting down on the time they’ll spend in front of screens! There are so many classic stories to capture your child’s imagination. Whether they want to go to Narnia or learn about caterpillars, everyone can enjoy the best children’s books
Editorial credit: Julie Clopper / Shutterstock.com
What are the best children’s books for preschoolers?
Few things are more precious for young kids than a bedtime story. Luckily, with one of the best children’s books for toddlers, your child will have a new favorite! You can even share favorites with other parents on FamilyApp.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar – Originally written in 1969, this is one of the most popular books of all time! Featuring days of the week and foods, this book will also provide a bit of learning. Take your kids through the life of a caterpillar as he becomes a butterfly.
- Green Eggs & Ham – Few children’s authors have developed the appeal of Dr. Seuss. Alongside classics like The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs & Ham is among the best children’s books age 3-5. After a couple reads, your kids may even be able to recite the rhymes on their own!
- The Alphabet Thief – This delightful book will probably have your kids laughing along until bedtime. Featuring the alphabet thief, who steals letters as she goes, the plot changes along with the words! When ‘beards’ become ‘bears’, you’ll see why this is one of the best children’s books 2017.
Editorial credit: / Carol Ann Mossa Shutterstock.com
What are some of the best children’s books of all time?
If your children are getting too old for the picture book classics, there are plenty of older books they’ll enjoy. From a savvy spider to a magic wardrobe, the best children’s books can inspire a love for reading.
- The Stolen Kingdom – For the child who loves a story of adventure and intrigue, The Stolen Kingdom will be a treat. Featuring a main character that’s actually a Prince, it’s up to Taylor to win the throne and save his town!
- Charlotte’s Web – Written in 1952, this instant classic by B. White is a story that will steal your child’s heart. It explores the friendship between Wilbur the pig and Charlotte the spider as she tries to save his life.
- Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls – This book will provide a host of inspiration for your daughter as one of the best children’s books age 8-12. In addition to colorful illustrations, it features more than 100 stories about women from the past and the present.
- The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – There are few tales that have the magical appeal of this story by C.S. Lewis. It follows a group of children as they enter the land of Narnia through a wardrobe. Your kids will love following their adventures as they try and save it from The White Witch!
Green Gables house from Anne of Green Gables.
How do I get my teenager to read?
When your kids are older, they’re going to enjoy the time to retreat to their room and be alone. And, with the best children’s books for teenagers, they can explore some of literature’s best stories too.
- The Outsiders – This classic by E. Hinton might have a sad ending, but there’s a lot to be learned from its pages. While it features violence, gang conflict and suicide, it has many valuable lessons about staying true to oneself.
- Anne of Green Gables – This Canadian classic is a good read for all ages. However, young teenagers will really enjoy the adventures of adopted Anne Shirley in the fictional Avonlea, Prince Edward Island. As Anne adapts to her new life, kids will find comfort in her perseverance and character.
Whether you have toddlers or your children are approaching their teenage years, there are plenty of classics they’ll love. From a hungry caterpillar to the adventures of Anne Shirley, the best children’s books will appeal to every kid. What are some of the books that your children can’t put down? Share them with us in our comments. Whether they simply amuse or are set to inspire, there are many old and new books to explore