It’s hard to make New Year’s resolutions at the end of the holiday season. But getting the family involved will help you all be more successful at sticking to them!
The holidays may be a time of family, gifts, and a lot of festive foods. However, the season of plenty often means that people want to start fresh in the New Year. According to a study by the University of Scranton, only 8% of people actually keep their resolutions! Fortunately, getting the family involved can work to turn the New Year’s resolutions statistics around! Whether you choose volunteer work, chores, or family meetings, pick a goal you can all work towards together.
There are many tried and true New Year’s resolutions for 2021 that are popular every year. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Volunteer– Whether it’s packing up items at the food bank or doing highway cleanup, there are many activities to do together. You may even want to consider the skills you have and find the right place to use them. Whatever your family decides on, this can be among the great New Year’s resolutions activities for students and parents!
- Make an Exercise Plan – With tablets and cell phones, many children are pretty sedentary. Fortunately, there are ways to combat this! Fitness and diet are two of the most popular resolutions around, so plan for weekly fitness. Whether you head to the gym, take yoga, or ride a bicycle, improving your family fitness is a great goal-setting resolution.
A good place to change your habits can be around the house. Involving the whole family improves is a great way to implement these New Year's Resolutions, so they stick!
- Schedule Chores – Chores don't have to be drudgery! Make this the year that you implement a system that will work for the whole family! Try assigning weekly chores so that everyone has a responsibility, and switch it up here and there. It will ensure that duties are passed around and no one is stuck doing the same thing. You can even make things fun with music and dancing!
- Be Environmentally Friendly– It’s more important than ever before to be green. Fortunately, there are ways you can include environmentally friendly habits in your new year’s resolutions ideas! Make sure everyone’s on board by getting informed about recycling. You can also encourage less water use, turning off lights, and using public transit when possible.
Being aware of what is going on in everyone’s life is a struggle for the modern family. Fortunately, you can wrap up this goal in a resolution by planning for the New Year!
- Schedule Family Meetings– As a busy family on the go, it can be hard to find the time to sit down and talk. So, try planning a weekly or monthly sit-down to discuss anything important. Whether you’re organizing a holiday or taking on an uncomfortable topic, it’s a good time to clear the air. Be sure to use FamilyApp's calendar to organize these meetings.
- Limit Technology– From young to old, many people are pretty infatuated with their phones these days. As a result, it’s important to have times when you all pay attention only to each other. Whether it’s at the dinner table or for a fun activity, take time to put the tech down. This can be among the fun New Year’s resolutions for couples since it’s hard to put down the work phone!
New Year’s resolutions are often forgotten about by the middle of February. Luckily, having family goals can make for more success and happiness in maintaining them. Chatting about your goals on FamilyApp's secure messenger and scheduling them out can help you stick with those goals longer. You can plan family meetings, chore charts, or schedule times to volunteer together.
Do you have any family resolutions for the coming year? If so, share them in our comments! Whether it’s exercising, volunteering or family meetings, resolutions you can do together can benefit everyone!