There’s plenty to make parents nervous when it comes to raising kids! Fortunately, GPS tracking apps can help to alleviate some of the fears that go hand-in-hand with parenting.
Sometimes, it seems like all of the world’s information is at our fingertips. But that doesn’t mean that we always know where our kids go after they leave the mall. And, while it’s important for kids to have their privacy, that doesn’t mean location tracking with GPS can’t be useful! When it comes to parental supervision and keeping them safe, the mechanization of location sharing can come in handy. So, instead of implanting them with an RFID chip or providing a walkie-talkie, you may want to consider GPS tracking.
What is GPS Tracking and how does it work?
With the popularity of smartphones, the idea of knowing where your children are at all times isn’t that uncommon. But you might be happy to know that a GPS tracking unit can provide more than just fitness statistics! Often used for fleet management software and as a vehicle tracking system for police, GPS has recently become more affordable. Tracking technology can determine the longitude, latitude and direction of a person using the Global Positioning System (GPS). This system contains 24 satellites that orbit the earth and make it possible to accurately determine location. And, this geolocation can be determined by using anything from a mobile device with GPS tracking apps to a GPS tracking watch. While there can be downsides to this technology, parental monitoring can be a useful thing when it provides safety.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of GPS tracking apps?
Whether it’s using GPS tracking apps like Find My Kids or Family Locator, there are many ways parents can keep tabs on their kids. In fact, it can actually be comforting to utilize a GPS tracking watch for teenagers as they become more independent! This type of motion detection is helpful in an emergency if they’re an outdoor enthusiast or like extra-curricular activities.
But it’s worth being aware that there are downsides to child monitoring. A GPS tracking device or app for kids offers comfort, but it can also lead to feelings of distrust. Most kids require some privacy to develop their own talents and hobbies, and they need to feel trusted. As tracking can mean total surveillance, it can lead to cyberstalking or cyberbullying in the wrong hands. And, with so many data protection issues, online security is key to keeping your children safe. Tracking may have benefits, but it’s important that boundaries are established ahead of time.
What are the best GPS tracking devices?
The ability to use tracking for your children’s safety goes beyond a mobile phone. In fact, even something as simple as an analog watch can help you stay in the know! If you find a favorite device or app, you may even want to share your ideas with other parents on FamilyApp.
- Verizon Gizmo Watch– This is the newest smartwatch around with a GPS tracking system. Your kids will love its bright colors and fun features like voice change mode! Ideal for children between 3 and 11, parents have the ability to set up location tracker and parental controls.
- Amber Alert GPS Smart Locator– This 7 cm handsfree unit is an ideal GPS tracking device for toddlers since it fits into their pocket. It also sends parents an alert if their child is within 500 feet of a registered sex offender’s home. They can even hit the SOS button and automatically send a message to their parents in an emergency! It also offers geofencing so you’ll get info if your child is heading to an unfamiliar destination.
- Garmin Forerunner 15 – It may not have all the bells and whistles, but this watch is pretty affordable and it’s easy to use for the technology novice. For those who want something simple, that will get the job done, the Garmin Forerunner can be a wise investment.
- Angelsense – This device has lots of great features! In addition to seeing your kid’s route, you’ll receive a message when they’re on their way home. While the features will cost you, the added security can make up for the price. You can even impose a digital curfew on their device.
- Huawei Watch GT– This popular watch may be commonly used for heart rate and fitness tracking. But that doesn’t mean you can’t use it to safeguard your children’s wellbeing. With sensors like an accelerometer, ambient light sensor, and a barometer, it has many options that will appeal to older kids. It even has 22-hour GPS so you don’t have to worry about battery life!
The best family app out there
With so many dangers out there, the idea of putting a GPS tracking chip in your kids might be tempting. But, it’s important to ensure that your desire for safety doesn’t infringe on your children’s sense of independence. While this can help you keep tabs on your kids, maintaining privacy is key to a healthy child-parent relationship.
Privacy and security are things that are very important with us at FamilyApp. We already offer you a chat to send end-to-end encrypted messages to your family members – and soon there will be another feature for GPS tracking your kids when they are out in the woods. So you get the best features you can think of in one family app. Sounds great? Then click here for your download now: