Your family’s new favorite meal doesn’t have to require a lot of work in the kitchen. Try our ideas for one-pot meals for an inspiring weeknight dinner!
*This article contains affiliate links. It doesn’t cost you anything, but if you click on the link and buy something, we’ll earn a small commission to help our writing team create more great articles.*
Day after day, it can be hard to come up with meals that make the whole family happy. And just because you want something tasty doesn’t mean you want to spend all night in the kitchen!
That’s where one-pot meals for dinner come in. Whether you want something roasted, basted, or sauteed, all it takes is one deep pan or pot to create a dish for something grand! And the next best thing is that you minimize dishwashing afterward and save a lot of time. Share your own one-pot ideas on your favorite family app.
What Are Good Vegetarian One-Pot Meals?
Many one-pot dinner ideas out there are basically a pasta dish but if you want to cut back on carbs, try one of these:
- Vegetarian Chili – Whether you’re vegetarian or interested in making Meatless Monday a thing, this one-pot meal for dinner may be your new go-to! All you need to do is simmer black beans, pinto beans, onions, celery, carrots, and spices on the stove. Add extras like chopped cilantro, tortilla chips, or avocado for a healthy treat!
- Vegetarian Gumbo – This Creole dish usually features meat or shellfish, but you won’t miss a thing with this veggie-friendly version! Start by whisking oil and flour together to create a roux, then add onion, celery, and bell pepper. Once soft, add tomatoes, broth, okra, squash, and seasoning. When it’s tender, this hearty stew is done!
What Are Cheap One-Pot Meals?
Eating well on a budget can be challenging, but with the following ideas you will have many benefits in your pot: they’re easy, cheap, healthy, and delicious!
- One-Pan Frittata – It might not necessarily be a pot, but all this meal takes is one dish to satiate your hunger. Sauté onions, shallots, and greens in a pan and then pour the eggs over. Transfer your skillet to the oven once the eggs turn white at the edges. It’s ready when the eggs have puffed in the middle. Cover with herbs and serve warm with crusty bread! Share your healthy one-pot meals on FamilyApp!
- Tortellini – This may just be your children’s favorite new winter dish! Try this easy recipe for almost instant comfort food!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow or white onion about half an onion
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 cup pasta sauce
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 24 ounces cheese tortellini
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium. Add the onions and cook about 5 minutes until translucent.
- Moving the onions to the side, brown the ground beef for about 5 minutes and drain out the fat. Add.garlic and cook about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the pasta sauce, cream, broth.
- Stir in the tortellini, simmer, and reduce to low heat. Cover and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Remove the lid, and add the cheese. Cook until the sauce is thick (about a minute or two.) Bon Appetit!
- One-Pot Lasagna – Cook crumbled Italian sausage until browned then stir in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and seasoning. Bring to a simmer and add the pasta with two cups of water, bringing to a boil. When it’s tender, remove it from the heat and stir in cheese, topping with ricotta. This will be one of your family’s favorite one-pot recipes!
What Are Easy One-Pot Meals?
Some classic dishes have always been one-pot meals, even before it was a food trend. How about one of these for tonight?
- Chicken Noodle Soup – Few things offer cold-weather comfort quite like a bowl of homemade chicken soup! You can make this classic kitchen staple by simmering broth, chicken, carrots, onions, celery, and seasonings together. Strain the broth and add back in cooked chicken and vegetables. Share your tips for one-pot dinners on your favorite family app!
- Irish Lamb Stew – It may not be quite as simple as chicken soup, but this can make for good weeknight leftovers! Start by browning lamb chops in a pan, then add sliced onions and carrots to soften. Deglaze the pan, spread a layer of potato, layer with onion and carrot, and then a layer of lamb. Bake for approximately 1.5 hours until the meat is tender.
- Chicken Broccoli Casserole – All it takes is thirty minutes for this delicious dish! Begin by cooking chicken and onion in a pan, then add broth, cream of chicken soup, and rice. Add the broccoli and cheese, and cook until the broccoli is tender. The casserole is ready for serving after approximately 40 minutes when the cheese is golden brown.
One-pot meals can be the perfect way to make a quick dinner the whole family will love! All you need is a little bit of time and some chopping know-how to come up with the perfect dish.
Do you have any favorite one-pot dinners for family? Share them with other cooks in our comments! After all, the best family dinners don’t have to be difficult.