Virginia Beach has plenty of tasty desserts to tempt your sweet tooth! Whether your family is passionate about pie or simply craving cupcakes, these local favorites will exceed your expectations.
If your kids are always asking for a treat, we’ve compiled a list of all our favorite spots to grab something sweet. Whether it’s a rich chocolate cupcake, frosty ice cream, cake pops, or an over-the-top mason jar creation, all of them perfect beach day treat for kids and grown-ups alike!
What Are the Best Bakeries in Virginia Beach?
Virginia Beach is home to many delicious bakeries. Here are a few favorites:
- May’s Parlor – This popular bakery is located along the water and is one of the best destinations for everything baked! While they offer items like “cruffins” and croissants, one of their specialties is the popular French macaron. It’s the perfect place for lunch or coffee with friends!
- Rigoletto Italian Bakery & Cafe – This bakery has been featured on the well-known Food Network show, “Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.” It’s the perfect place to find some of the best desserts Italy has to offer. Whether your family likes traditional treats like cannoli or brioche and cupcakes, there’s plenty to love.
- Sugar Plum Bakery – This small, non-profit bakery offers top-notch desserts, along with training & employment to disabled people. It’s a staple for the locals, especially those who enjoy investing in the community. I would definitely recommend the Napoleons!
- Flour Child Bakery – This small-batch bakery is run by a local mother-and-daughter team who are passionate about baked goods. From cookies and cakes to brownie bites and cake pops, you’ll find desserts for a crowd at Flour Child.
- Twisted Sisters Cupcakes and Sugar Shack Cafe – I see this truck everywhere I go, and for good reason! They’re in popular demand! While they offer 12 flavors each week, the Exceptional Eight are always available. These include Vanilla Bean, Death by Chocolate, Red Velvet, Unicorn, Peanut Butter Brownie, Chocolate Oreo, Strawberry Sundae, and Lemon Sunshine. You can also find two featured flavors of the month and two weekly flavors, so there will always be something for everyone.
Virginia Beach Desserts in the ViBe District
This up-and-coming district of creators and artists has lots of tasty treats made in-house that you won’t want to miss.
- Commune – It’s all in the name at this Virginia Beach bakery. In addition to making everything from scratch, all the ingredients at this destination are locally sourced! For weekend sweets, your kids will love their inspired take on homemade pop-tarts.
- Prosperity Kitchen – Opened only two years ago, this oceanfront eatery specializes in handmade pizzas and delicious baked goods. They have a little something for every part of the day, so you really can’t go wrong.
- Lolly’s – My second favorite ice cream shop, Lolly’s is a locally-owned and operated family business creating and scooping up new, delicious flavors all the time. This adorable ice cream shop in the heart of the ViBe district is perfect for after a long day in the surf and sand.
Where Are the Best Desserts in Virginia Beach?
These special places offer unique treats, from cupcakes and cake pops to decadent breakfast desserts.
- The Bee & The Biscuit – Located in a lovely cottage that dates back to 1919, The Bee & The Biscuit is great for all kinds of special treats. People lose their minds for their colossal cinnamon rolls! And their assorted biscuits, like apple cider, orange zest, berry, and buttermilk, will make you wish it were breakfast all day long. While they’re best known for their brunch, don’t miss their signature Mason jar desserts!
- My Vegan Sweet Tooth – It goes without saying that this is an ideal destination for vegan desserts. But, it’s also great for those who just like sugar! Whether whoopie pies or cinnamon rolls, you can find a treat that’s perfect for vegans and non-vegans alike!
- Look Up Dessert Cafe – Their “snow cream parfaits” are like nothing else you’ll find in the area. With flavors like Chocolate, Red Bean, Strawberry Cream, Vanilla Cake, Mango Pineapple, and Tiramisu Coffee, you really can’t beat all the yummy choices they have to offer. You can also get Bubble Tea, Nutella Cake, macarons, and so much more.
- Mango Mango Dessert – Serving up blended drinks, fruit teas, and handmade desserts, Mango Mango offers refreshing healthier alternatives to lots of other options out there. If you’re looking for something fruity and sweet, this is the place to be. You can also get crepes, which is a fan favorite at my house!
Best Places to Get Doughnuts in Virginia Beach
Looking for something sweet to hit the spot? Here are a few delicious donut shops in Virginia Beach!
- Duck Donuts– Create your own confection with endless combinations of flavored icings and toppings! You can watch them come right off the conveyor belt, where this warm perfection melts in your mouth.
- Okie Doughkie Donuts– Pick up these sweet square doughnuts during the summer and at local farmers’ markets! The crispy fried Holy Fryer is a perennial fan favorite.
We All Scream for Ice Cream!
After a hot day, you may be craving something cold and sweet instead of baked goods. Here are some of the best places to get ice cream in Virginia Beach.
- Blue Cow – This is my favorite ice cream spot in town, mostly because they have delicious vegan ice cream (for those of us who are less-than-tolerant of dairy products). My friends also love their key lime pie and blueberry goat cheese flavors. This is perfect for grabbing a scoop and enjoying an area that’s a little less touristy.
- Cold Stone Creamery – People nationwide enjoy Cold Stone Creamery, and Virginia Beach is no exception. Whether you play it straight or go for mix-ins, this will be your children’s favorite spot for ice cream! Whether you pick ice cream or Italian sorbet, with 40 mix-ins available, you won’t run out of unique combinations.
- Gelati Celesti –When this opened, the line extended around the block. Located centrally in Hilltop, this well-loved dessert spot serves 24 “House Favorite” flavors along with a rotating selection of 85 featured flavors. They make their delectable ice cream fresh and in small batches. Not only that, you can order quarts and pints online for curbside pickup. And if you’re not into ice cream, try one of their delicious pies!
What Are the Best Places to Get Desserts at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront?
- Dream the la Cream – Life is like ice cream– you’ve got to enjoy it before it melts! This oceanfront sweet spot has post-beach-day treats like their “dream milkshakes,” “dream chimney cones,” ice cream sandwiches, and funnel cakes.
- The Sweet Spot – With Instagram-worthy treats, the Sweet Spot is located at the VB Oceanfront, perfectly located if you’re staying at a hotel near the boardwalk. With over-the-top delectables, you won’t want to miss these extravagantly delicious creations.
- Kilwins – Another Oceanfront staple, Kilwins not only serves fantastic ice cream but the best caramel apples in town. You can buy plenty of other gourmet treats like homemade fudge, caramel corn, truffles, and amazing brittle. Skip the expensive tourist traps and stop in at Kilwins for treats worth every penny.
Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)
Whether you want to reward your children or need a sweet treat after a day in the sun, there are many great options in Virginia Beach. Whether you’re looking for cupcakes, cannolis, or ice cream options, this bustling beachside town has it all. Share a photo of your favorite dessert with the people you love on your favorite family app!