Cleaning the house doesn’t have to require a dozen different products. Pull out the baking soda and try some of our tips for a little home improvement made easier!
As much as we might all appreciate a clean house, we don’t always appreciate a lot of the chemicals found in many cleaning products. Luckily, next time you have to clean the house, you might want to try using baking soda to clean! From the bathroom to the backyard, there are tons of uses for this natural, versatile product. Be sure to share your own cleaning discoveries on your favorite family app!
How Can You Use Baking Soda to Clean?
There’s almost no part of your house that can’t be cleaner with the use of a little soda. Whether it’s the oven, utensils, or the patio furniture, baking soda has impressive cleaning power! It serves as an able replacement for many cleaning products without all the chemicals. Whether you’re mixing it with vinegar or water, there’s more to sodium bicarbonate than tooth whitening and baking. Its versatility is also shown by its many names: bread soda, cooking soda, and bicarb soda are all the same! Share your own inspired baking soda uses on FamilyApp with other curious cleaners!
How Do You Clean With Baking Soda and Water?
If all you have in the house is baking soda and water, there’s plenty of cleaning you can get done in a day. Try these tips for some scrub-free home improvement!
- Patio Furniture – Instead of using the power nozzle when you’re hosing off your chairs and table, combine baking soda and water for a wipe down. You can even put dry baking soda inside the patio furniture storage bags so they’re fresher for the sunny season!
- Floor Cleaner – When washing your floors, simply combine half a cup of baking soda with a bucket of warm water. Mop the floors with this mixture and rinse for super-sparkly tiles.
- Food Containers – Many people don’t know this, but soda can also work to freshen food containers. To do so, soak stained containers in a solution of 4 Tbsp of bicarb soda and a quart of warm water.
- Fruits & Vegetables – Whether you want to remove dirt or the waxy coating that often exists on fruit, baking soda is your friend. All you need to do is mix with a little water for an instant, natural polish!
What Are Some Ideas for Cleaning With Vinegar?
Sodium bicarbonate can be good on its own, but it also has some fabulous uses alongside vinegar. Try one of the following for an instant, easy clean! Share your ideas on your favorite family app with other cleaners.
- De-Grease Pans – If you’ve got a lot of dark, greased pans, the remedy is pretty simple. Sprinkle your pans with some cooking soda while boiling vinegar in the microwave. Once it’s ready, pour it on your pans and let it sit for 30 minutes. All you have to do is scrub with a wet sponge for a newly shiny pan!
- Unclog the Drain – Whether it’s just simple maintenance or something is caught in the drain, this is an easy, non-chemical solution. Pour ½ cup baking soda into the drain and follow with ½ cup heated vinegar. Wait a few minutes then drain it with hot water.
- Clean the Oven – You don’t need Easy-Off to clean the oven with this great paste! Combine bicarb soda and water and apply it to your oven. Once done, spray it with vinegar to get a foam. This should make for a less abrasive oven clean!
- Clean the Dishwasher – Fill a cup with white vinegar and put it in the top rack of your dishwasher, and sprinkle the bottom with baking soda. Run a cycle with only these two items in the dishwasher, and enjoy a clean machine.
Many people know that baking soda is great for baking or even de-odorizing the fridge. However, this product is actually perfect for a variety of household cleaning tasks! Whether you’ve run out of your regular or want to go with a more natural solution, bicarb soda is key. Do you have any unique tips for cleaning with baking soda? Share them in our comments. After all, cleaning can be made a whole lot easier with just one box!