Summer is almost here- so bring on the home maintenance projects! From watching for water damage to getting gardening, here are some great ways to prepare your home for summer.
Spring-cleaning may get a lot of favor for airing out the house and clearing away the webs of winter! But there are a number of things you’ll want to do to get your house ready for the summer sunshine. It might be coming up soon, but it can’t all be barbecues and bathing suits until the prep is done. Luckily, we have a home maintenance checklist to make sure you’re ready!
What are the best home maintenance tips for summer?
Getting ready for summer is about more than planning your vacation and getting in shape! While the following home maintenance for summer might not be much fun, it will ensure a smooth ride through the sunny season:
- Watch for Water Damage– Wherever you live, water damage can have a really negative impact on your home. If you’re in a rainy climate, it’s a good time to inspect the roof, windows, and doors for cracks or leaks. Replace any roof tiles or windows that are showing signs of wear and tear before they cause a problem. Because you don’t want to succumb to mold damage!
- Protect against Bugs– The summer months may bring the heat, but they can also bring unwelcome pests! Instead of leaving your home up for grabs, one of the best home maintenance tips is to do a walk-through. Ensure that screen doors and windows do not have any tears or holes. You may even want to use an eco-friendly bug spray to stop problems before they start. You can even share it with others on a family app!
- Check the Air Conditioning Units – Air conditioning can be helpful almost anywhere, but it’s especially important when it comes to summer. If you’ve invested in HVAC systems, you should be washing the filters once a month to ensure appropriate energy use. However, it may also be good to clear the area around it and have someone inspect it for optimal performance. You can even turn your ceiling fans counter-clockwise for improved airflow!
- Finish the Spring Cleaning– It can be easy to procrastinate on spring-cleaning duties, especially when the winter is long. But to be truly prepared for summer you’ll want to finish the last of the duties on the chore chart! If you haven’t dusted the bookshelves or wiped the walls, now is the time. Whether you do it yourself or hire home maintenance services, it might also be good to pull out the summer décor!
How do I get my yard ready for summer?
When it comes to completing your home maintenance by month, the best time is spring and summer. You may even want to share your own outside checklist with other parents on FamilyApp!
- Get in the Garden– Whether you’re a horticulture expert or a novice gardener, getting into the dirt is what summer is all about. In addition to clearing out the weeds, till the soil and plant any seedlings you’re hoping to grow. Ensure that your plant boxes and flower beds are well kept for healthy plant development. If there’s anything you want to rip out and replace, now’s the time to get to it. You can even bring the garden indoors with Mason jar spices for the kitchen window!
- Prep the Porch– Summer is the best time of year to spend time outside. And, nothing is going to get you out there like having a vibrant, inviting outdoor area! While a little home maintenance is key, make sure your patio furniture is good to go and washed down. You may even want to set a bright, light mood with the right pillows, planters, and accessories. Share your ideas on how to create the right style with others on a family app.
Summer may be popular for beaches and barbecues, but it’s important to prep your house before the season rolls around. From getting out the gardening tools to checking the air-conditioning, the home maintenance cost doesn’t have to set you back. Do you have any summer home prep items to add to the list? Let us know in our comments! Whether the plans for summer are low-key or busy as can be, being prepared can make all the difference.