Whether you’re looking for an educational preschool program or an animated movie to entertain the whole family, there’s plenty on Netflix for kids! Here share some of our favorite recommendations and tips for navigating Netflix with your family.
Netflix for the Whole Family
With well over 100 million streaming subscribers, Netflix has become a staple in many homes. Many parents feel comfortable parking their children in front of the TV in the family room so they can have a few minutes to relax or get some work done, but knowing how to appropriately navigate this app can keep your family safely and happily entertained.
So how do you optimize your Netflix account for every member of the family? Here are some suggestions.
Customizing Netflix for Kids
How do you set up Netflix for kids? First, you have to set up accounts for different users in your house. You can have up to five individual profiles, so many different people in your household can customize their experiences.
You can set up accounts for each adult in your house, but chances are, if you have kids, you’ll probably want to limit them to the “Kids” section of the app. There’s a huge selection of movies for kids on Netflix- even current kids movies released in 2020.
Setting Parental Controls
Fortunately, you can set parental controls to regulate Netflix for kids, even from your smartphone. As a parent and primary account user, you can require a PIN for any program above a certain rating, or even for a specific TV show or movie you don’t want your kids watching.
To set up parental controls, you’ll probably need to pull up Netflix in your regular web browser in order to adjust account controls and user preferences. Keep in mind, even with age-appropriate settings, we recommend monitoring what your child is watching. It’s best to be cautious. Even some preschool shows might have messages or bad attitudes to which you may not comfortable exposing your child. Be prepared to check it out beforehand so you know exactly what kind of content and messages are being presented.
Netflix for Kids: What is There to Watch?
So you’ve set up your profile and parental controls–what should your kids watch? While many popular TV shows and movies don’t stay on Netflix forever, here are a few of our favorites right now:
Netflix TV Shows for the Preschooler
- VeggieTales in the House: Join Bob the Tomato, Larry the Cucumber, and all their friends as they share solid morals and social skills with a great dose of fun and humor.
- Leapfrog: Go along with Violet, Scout, and all their friends as your children can discover numbers and phonetic sounds. From Phonics Farm to The Amazing Alphabet, your kids will have a great time learning!
- Superwhy: Who’s got the power-the power to read? Your preschooler- after hanging out Wyatt and the Super Readers. Who wouldn’t want to enjoy endless adventures in their favorite Fairytales with these exciting friends?
- Masha and the Bear: With comedy and kindness at its heart, the show follows the adventures of a little girl Masha and her friend, The Bear.
- PJ Masks: Three six-year old kids live normal lives during the day, but mask up and become superheroes at night! This is perfect for little ones who love superheroes, but aren’t quite ready for the big leagues!
- Little Baby Bum: This adorable British animated series may be for the youngest little ones in your house, as it’s simple nursery rhymes and learning songs. With bright colors and catchy tunes, your little one will love to sing along.
- Beat Bugs: With classic songs and music from The Beatles sung by modern artists, five little bugs learn big lessons about friendship, exploration, and problem-solving.
Netflix TV Shows for Elementary School Kids
- The Who Was? Show: Even kids who don’t like history will be a fan of this fun, quirky show! It takes
great liberties with history- like putting Amelia Earhart and Isaac Newton together in the same episode- but gives kids a passion for learning.
- The Magic School Bus Rides Again: Ms. Frizzle’s younger sister is back with more scientific discoveries and adventures aboard the magic school bus. Your kids will get excited about science and exploring the world around them in new ways.
- Sugar Rush: Bakers have to prepare delectable desserts while also racing the clock to win a grand prize of $10,000. Your kids will enjoy the action, but they might want to make cupcakes after the show.
- Spirit Riding Free: This will be a favorite for the horse-loving girls in your house! Learn great lessons about friendship and courage with Lucky and her friends as you explore the American West.
- Ask the StoryBots: This animated series follows five curious little robot creatures as they find answers to kids biggest questions like “Why do people look different?” and “Why do I have to brush my teeth?”
Movies on Netflix for Kids
It can be hard to find a film that kids of all ages can agree on. Here are some newer releases and classics that you can count on for a fun and feel-good movie everyone can watch together:
- Mary Poppins Returns: A sequel to the beloved original, America’s favorite cheeky nanny comes back to show the Banks family what’s truly important about family.
- Incredibles 2: When Helen Parr (a.k.a. Elastigirl) is called to lead a campaign to bring the superheroes back into society, it doesn’t quite go according to plan. The Parr family must work together to fight for each other and the greater good.
- Despicable Me: Supervillain Gru has a plan to steal the moon, but his evil plans are turned upside down when he meets three orphans who want to become a part of his family.
- Ralph Breaks the Internet: Six years after the events of “Wreck-It Ralph,” Ralph and Vanellope, now friends, discover a wi-fi router in their arcade, leading them into a new adventure in order to find a replacement piece for Vanellope’s video game. A true tale of friendship!
- The Princess and the Frog: This is for the Disney princess enthusiasts. Hardworking and ambitious Tiana dreams of one day opening the finest restaurant in New Orleans. Her dream takes a slight detour when she meets Prince Naveen.
- Tarzan: A Disney classic that everyone will love. Phil Collins didn’t have to give us this soundtrack, but he did. And he did it for us. Enjoy plenty of adventure and what it truly means to be a family, even if you come from different worlds.
Netflix for All
Netflix offers lots of content for families and children, such as funny animal movies, cartoons, documentaries, and more. These shows and movies just scratch the surface of all that’s offered out there. While movies and TV shows can be a nice break from the chaos and can be a great way to spend a little down time, we recommend using it in moderation. The best memories are made spending quality time together, whether that’s playing outside, playing a game, or making an art project! Check out FamilyApp for some great ideas.