July 4th is one of the most important national holidays. Whether you spend it beachside or head to a festival, plan some special Independence Day activities!
It might be hard to believe, but everyone’s favorite American holiday is right around the corner: the Fourth of July! It can be the perfect time to get away with the family or just enjoy some downtime together. But, if you’re not sure how to spend the day yet, we have plenty of ideas for Independence Day activities. Whether you need vacation ideas or want to keep it close to home, don’t skimp on the celebrating!
Independence Day activities: What are great home decorations?
One of the best July 4th ideas to get into the spirit is to dress in stars and stripes and decorate your home! If you already have a flag in your yard, try some red, white and blue streamers for your backyard. You can also create your very own decorative wreath for the day. Whether you add some ribbons or some miniature national flags, it will tell the neighbors you’re ready to celebrate. These ideas are also fun and easy to realize so children of all ages will be happy to help! You may even want to share your DIY craft-making or other artsy Independence Day activities with others on FamilyApp!
Which family movies to watch on Independence Day?
One of the best Independence Day activities with your family can be a backyard barbecue and a movie night in. Luckily, we have the perfect patriotic movies to get you excited about the holiday. Cue up the popcorn and the ice cream floats for all the fun!
- Yankee Doodle Dandy– This musical is a great place to begin when it comes to an Independence Day classic. It might not be as famous as other films from Hollywood’s Golden Age, but your kids won’t care. You’ll all love learning about the life of Broadway icon George M. Cohan and hearing all the famous songs!
- Independence Day– Some might call it a modern-day classic, but this American film starring Will Smith has holiday spirit too! If you have a kid that loves science fiction, this alien invasion movie will be sure to make them happy. Share this classic action flick with others on a family app.
- Captain America: The First Avenger – This film might be relatively new, but your kids will love getting in on some July 4th action. Chris Evans plays Steve Rogers who is rejected from the military but soon finds a new lease on life. This is an epic American story that follows the adventures of one of its favorite superheroes!
What do you do on July 4th?
If you’re wondering what to do with children on Independence Day, there are many activities every age can enjoy together. From patriotic events to inspired family fun, these activities will make July 4th memorable!
- Take Me Out to the Ball Game– One of the best ways to get in on the action is to celebrate one of America’s favorite sports: baseball! If you can’t find a game the whole family will enjoy, plan your own competition at the local park instead.
- Organize a Beachside Picnic– Whether you plan a family reunion on Independence Day or it’s just the kids, the beach is the place to be. Do a little research and look into some July 4th picnic menu ideas to take to the sand! You may even have the good fortune of catching the fireworks after dark.
- March in a Parade– Get out the lawn chairs and the sunglasses, and head to the street for a celebratory parade. Your kids will love watching all the creative floats go by. And, there might even be a pancake breakfast that everyone can take advantage of beforehand.
- Head to a Music Festival – The July weekend is full of opportunity when it comes to music! Instead of staying home, try out some July 4th activities in Philadelphia. The city of brotherly love is home to Wawa Welcome America Festival. This fun fest features a block party and plenty of fireworks! If you’re close to Milwaukee however, Summerfest has been “The World’s Largest Music Festival” since 1968. You may even have a favorite festival you want to share on a family app!
It can be exciting to get out of town for the July 4th holiday. But there’s plenty of excitement close to home that you can take advantage of. Whether you’re considering Fourth of July family vacation ideas or heading to the beach, anything can make for a memorable day. Do you have any Independence Day activity traditions? Share your favorites in our comments! There’s no wrong way to celebrate the day, but having a plan in advance will make for more fun.