July 4th is one of the most important national holidays. Whether you spend it beachside or head to a festival, plan some special Independence Day activities! Here are some of our favorites.
Independence Day Activities 2021
It might be hard to believe, but the quintessential American holiday is right around the corner: the Fourth of July! It started with the day marking the United States’ independence from Great Britain after the ratification of the Declaration of Independence in 1776. Now, July 4 is a cause for celebration across the country as Americans show their patriotic pride!
July 4, 2021, is especially exciting since we’re becoming increasingly free of the tyranny of COVID-19. So while we should all stay safe and use common sense as we celebrate, it’s an ideal time to get together with family and friends.
It can be the perfect time to get away with the family or just enjoy some downtime together. But, if you’re not sure how to spend the day yet, we have plenty of ideas for Independence Day activities. Whether you need vacation ideas or want to keep it close to home, don’t skimp on the celebrating!
Independence Day Activities at Home
Feeling in the mood to celebrate at home? Here are a few options to keep things festive without going out.
Independence Day Artistic Activities
- 1. Set up patriotic decorations. If you already have a flag in your yard, try some red, white, and blue streamers for your backyard.
- 2. Create your very own decorative wreath for the day. Whether you add some ribbons or some miniature national flags, it will tell the neighbors you’re ready to celebrate. These ideas are also fun and easy to do, so children of all ages will be happy to help! You may even want to share your DIY craft-making or other artsy Independence Day activities with others on FamilyApp!
- 3. Make DIY patriotic accessories. These can be really simple crafts, like having your kids draw fireworks with sidewalk chalk in the driveway. Or you can go a step beyond if you’re crafting with a Cricut machine. You could even make 4th of July-themed cups or banners to celebrate.
Independence Day Culinary Activities
Nothing makes things festive like a holiday-themed menu! Here are a few patriotic ideas to brighten up your meals.
- 4. Two words: flag cake. Take a rectangular yellow cake and frost it with cool whip frosting and top with strawberries and blueberries in a true American flag formation. Here are some other favorite patriotic dessert ideas.
- 5. Enjoy an Independence Day drink. You can try something simple like serving red and blue Kool-Aid or really have fun with some of these July 4th beverages.
- 6. Host a classic barbecue. Fire up the grill, throw on some classic burgers and hot dogs, and soak up this national holiday.
Independence Day Family Movies
One of the best Independence Day activities with your family can be a backyard barbecue and a movie night in, especially if the weather’s not looking great. These patriotic movies will get you excited about the holiday. So cue up the popcorn, and the ice cream floats for all the fun!
- 7. Yankee Doodle Dandy– This musical is a great place to begin when it comes to an Independence Day classic. It might not be as famous as other films from Hollywood’s Golden Age, but your kids won’t care. You’ll all love learning about the life of Broadway icon George M. Cohan and hearing all the famous songs!
- 8. John Adams— Technically, this 2008 HBO miniseries isn’t a movie, but the brilliant portrayals of Thomas Jefferson and John Adams help shed light on this significant period in history during and after the Revolutionary War.
- 9. Independence Day– Some might call it a modern-day classic, but this American film starring Will Smith has the holiday spirit too! If you have a kid that loves science fiction, this alien invasion movie will be sure to make them happy. Share this classic action flick with others on a family app.
- 10. Captain America: The First Avenger – This film might be relatively new, but your kids will love getting in on some July 4th action. Chris Evans plays Steve Rogers, who is rejected from the military but soon finds a new lease on life. This is an epic American story that follows the adventures of one of its favorite superheroes!
July 4th Activities With Kids
If you’re wondering what to do with kids on Independence Day, here are some great ideas to make July 4 memorable!
- 11. Take Me Out to the Ball Game– One of the best ways to get in on the action is to celebrate one of America’s favorite sports: baseball! If you can’t find a game the whole family will enjoy, plan your own competition at the local park instead.
- 12. Organize a Beachside Picnic– Whether you plan a family reunion on Independence Day or it’s just the kids, the beach is the place to be. So do a little research and look into some July 4th picnic menu ideas to take to the sand! You may even have the good fortune of catching the fireworks after dark.
- 13. March in a Parade– Get out the lawn chairs and the sunglasses, and head to the street for a celebratory parade. Your kids will love watching all the creative floats go by. And, there might even be a pancake breakfast that everyone can take advantage of beforehand.
- 14. Head to a Music Festival – The July weekend is full of opportunities when it comes to music! Instead of staying home, try out some July 4th activities in Philadelphia. The city of brotherly love is home to Wawa Welcome America Festival. This fun fest features a block party and plenty of fireworks! However, if you’re close to Milwaukee, Summerfest has been “The World’s Largest Music Festival” since 1968.
- 15. Watch the Fireworks. Whether you have some sparklers to wave around or watch a huge fireworks display in a big city, make sure to enjoy the magic. Bonus points if you also hear a rendition of the “Star-Spangled Banner” while watching the festivities.
Happy Independence Day!
It can be exciting to get out of town for the July 4th holiday. But there’s plenty of excitement close to home that you can take advantage of. Whether you’re considering Fourth of July family vacation ideas or heading to the beach, anything can make for a memorable day. Do you have any Independence Day activity traditions? Share your favorites on social #getfamilyapp!