The New Year can be an ideal time for improving our lives! From Mother Teresa to Nelson Mandela, there are many famous heroes who can inspire your whole family.
With the New Year upon us, it’s a time for the whole family to make some resolutions. Whether you’re all doing volunteer work or simply eating more vegetables, there are many ways to improve your life! You and your family may even want to look to these great heroes for a little bit of motivation!
Who are some famous heroes?
There’s more to heroism than simply being a public figure. The passion and purpose of the following women have made a better world. Here are a few of our favorites who helped make many amazing contributions to our world today:
- George Washington Carver- Although born into slavery, Carver overcame many obstacles to become one of the most extraordinary botanists and inventors in American history. His discoveries empowered farmers to unlock the power of the peanut, improve soil nutrients, and feed their families.
- Clara Barton – Few organizations have the footprint of the American Red Cross. And Clara Barton founded the organization in 1881 after providing support to soldiers. Nowadays, the American Red Cross is among the most prominent charitable organizations in the world!
- Lynda Blackmon Lowery – She may not be one of the many famous heroes in American history. However, Lowery is one of the most dedicated activists around, having been jailed eleven times before turning 15! In Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom, Lowery bravely shares her experience of the 1965 voting rights march.
- Thomas Edison– Edison only lasted three months in formal schooling, but that didn’t stop him from becoming one of the greatest inventors of all time. By the time of his death, he had over 1500 patents and had founded 14 companies including General Electric. Every time you turn on a lightbulb, you can thank Edison!
Who are some great leaders?
Many political and religious figures have graced the world stage. But the following famous heroes have also helped pave the way for justice for generations to come.
- Abraham Lincoln – To this day, Lincoln is considered one of the best presidents in American history. He led the country from March 4, 1861, until his assassination on April 15, 1865. It is Lincoln’s abolition of slavery that stands as one of his greatest achievements.
- Mother Teresa – One of the most famous heroes in history, Mother Teresa started the Missionaries of Charity in 1950. She dedicated her to serving the poor and was canonized by Pope Francis in 2016.
- Nelson Mandela – Mandela’s recent passing in 2013 may have seemed to unite the world. However, it was his anti-apartheid activism that led to his legacy. Mandela served as South Africa’s first black president from 1994 to 1999, working to tackle racism and apartheid.
- Susan B. Anthony– Her tenacity and passion for empowering American women with the right to vote are still inspiring us today. Her efforts paved the way for many future women in American politics from Hillary Clinton to Nikki Haley.
Who are some more American heroes?
Beyond political figures and activists, many artists and explorers also inspire many.
- Samuel Clemens – The name might not sound familiar, but this writer is better known by his pen name, Mark Twain. As one of the United States famous heroes, Twain is behind the great American novel. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is one of the most beloved books of all time.
- Amelia Earhart– As the first female aviator to take a transatlantic flight, Amelia’s passion for science and adventure continues to inspire young people of all ages! In addition to her accomplishments in aviation, she also championed women’s rights.
- Bono– While most rock stars are known for their crazy antics, U2’s Bono has used his influence for good. As co-founder of the ONE and RED campaigns, his organizations have helped raise over $500 million towards AIDS prevention and eradicating global poverty.
- Oprah Winfrey– Media mogul, entrepreneur, talk show host, philanthropist, and actress- is there anything she can’t do? As much as we admire Oprah’s business acumen and many talents, we’re also in awe of her foundations Oprah’s Angels and the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls.
Our lives are chock full of famous heroes for your children, both past and present. There are plenty of political figures, activists, and artists out there to admire! Are there any well-known figures your child looks up to? Share them with us in our comments or on FamilyApp! After all, having someone to admire is an important part of life.