Prophecy remains a key theme for the first week of Advent as Christians prepare for the birth of Christ. Read more about the first Sunday in Advent from Lisa Robertson.
Prophecy in Advent
The first Sunday in Advent focuses on the prophecies of the Bible describing the coming of Christ. Prophecies prepared, taught, warned and encouraged the people about God, His ways and His plans.
This week we will look at how over 2700 years ago, God revealed His plan to His people. 2100 years ago, He fulfilled His plan by sending His son, Jesus, and now in the 21st Century, we are anticipating the fulfillment of the final prophecies describing His return.
Some of 1he most significant prophecies regarding the Advent season appear in the following passages :
- The Birth of Jesus: Isaiah 7: 14; Isaiah 9:6 Micah 5:2, 4-5
- His Anointing: Isaiah 11: 1-4
- Jesus’ Betrayal: Psalm 41:4; Zechariah 11: 12-13
- His Death: Isaiah 53; Psalm 22:1-31
- The Crucifixion of Jesus: Isaiah 53: 12
- His Resurrection: Isaiah 25:8, Psalm 16:10
- Jesus’ Return to Glory: Acts l: 10-1 l, I Thessalonians 4:15-18, Revelation 22:20
- His Glorious Reign: Isaiah 11 :3 through 12:6
*This Advent Worship devotional is part of a larger Advent book by Lisa Robertson. Check out the Advent channel on FamilyApp for more updated daily devotionals each day until Christmas. These daily readings add a wonderful dimension to your Christmas traditions. Be sure to share your favorite Advent ideas with loved ones on your favorite family app, or below in our comments. What are your favorite Advent traditions?