It can be hard for your little ones to beat the heat in the summertime. Luckily, there are plenty of ways for keeping your baby cool on those warm summer days!
The time when the days get longer and the weather starts to heat up is here! And, there’s nothing to celebrate the season like getting outside and enjoying the fun. But, when it comes to sunshine, keeping your baby cool in hot weather can be hard! High humidity and hot temperatures can have an impact on their well being, leading to health problems. From wet diapers to lighter layers, here are a few ways to keep them comfortable.
Why is hot weather dangerous for children?
Most of us are aware of how dangerous it can be to leave our kids in hot cars. However, many people don’t realize that a child’s body temperature actually rises 3-5 times more quickly than adults! As a result, kids are far more susceptible to heat stroke. It can be easy to think that a little time in the sun is no big deal. But keeping your baby cool in the summer heat is important even if it’s just for a short time. Instead of leaving their health at risk, consider the following baby care to keep them comfortable.
How should I clothe my baby in hot weather?
It can be a struggle for anyone to stay cool in the summertime. Fortunately, the following tips for keeping your baby cool at night will last into the day!
- Keep It Cool– Sometimes the hardest thing about summer can be getting to sleep in the warm temperatures. By closing the blinds in your baby’s room, you can keep it as a cool place throughout the day. You can also circulate the fan for added cooling power at night.
- Forget About Layers– It can be tempting to overdress your little one, even in the summer months. But, when it comes to hot weather, they’ll be more comfortable in loose clothing and light fabrics. For keeping your baby cool in a carrier, ensure you are using a fabric that is breathable.
- Bring a Hat– If you’re heading outside, a lightweight hat is one of the best defenses your baby has against the summer sun. This will help them to stay cool and in control! If they’re going to be in direct sunlight, they should be wearing one at all times. Share your baby hat finds with other parents on a family app!
How can I go about keeping baby cool in hot weather?
When it comes to keeping your baby cool, the right clothes are key! Fortunately, taking care of your little one doesn’t mean that you have to forego the sunshine altogether. Instead, share the following tips on FamilyApp:
- Avoid Direct Sunlight– If your child is less than 6 months old, keeping them out of direct sunlight is of paramount importance. Babies have very little melanin, which is what assists with protecting them against the sun’s harmful rays. Keeping babies cool in the shade is the next best thing to SPF!
- Use Sunscreen– Sun protection for babies is one of the best defenses for your child once they’re older than 6 months. While they should be covered when in a stroller or carrier, wearing sunscreen is also a part of swimming safety. Ensure that the product you use contains zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. You may even want to share your favorite sunscreen finds with others on a family app!
- Keep them Hydrated– It’s easy for little ones to lose fluids in hot weather, whether or not they’re sweating. If your baby is under 6 months, they can be given formula or nursed to avoid dehydration. If they’re older, you can provide them with cool water to keep them hydrated. A flushed face, warm skin, and rapid breathing can be signs that your baby is not properly hydrated.
From splashing around in the pool to spending time in the yard, summer is full of fun for young kids! But, when the temperature rises and the heat is on, keeping your baby cool is important to protect against heat exhaustion. Do you have some tips for keeping summer heat at bay? Share them with us in our comments! Whether it’s time in the shade or the perfect sun hat, there are easy ways to beat the heat.