Your kids and older family members can set up a secure account to communicate with you over encrypted channels without a mobile number! Here’s how to add family members using our unique emoji code.
Getting started with your emoji code
- In order to use an emoji code, both you and the family member you wish to connect with will need a device. So if you’re on your phone, they’ll need to use a tablet, iPod, or another phone. You won’t be able to log in as two different people on the same device.
- Once you have two devices, select the family you’d like to add a new member using an emoji code. You’ll need to be an administrator of this family.
- Tap + member and then select the bottom option “create account” rather than sending an invitation link.
- You will then be prompoted to create the profile of the new family member.
- Next, press the button “Issue Emoji Code”. You’ll get the code sent to your device for the other member to enter into their screen.
- You can tell your other family member the code, perhaps over a voice phone call.
- The new member will need to first download the app to their device from the app store, and then select “login without a phone number”.
- The easiest way to navigate them to the app store listing is from familyapp.com
- The new member simply needs to type in the code you provide, and they’re ready to join the family thread!
- Each code is valid for 60 seconds, so if you don’t enter it in time, you can always issue them a new one.
How do I sign my child into more than one family?
Most FamilyApp users are members of more than one family. Emoji code users can also utilize this feature, and join multiple families, too. So children whose parents aren’t married to each other can be part of both families, and kids can join in extended family conversations, too.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to the family you want to connect the member to
- Navigate to the +member section
- Send a link this time instead of using your choice of apps, such as airdrop or your own email address to transfer the link to their device.
- Since they’re already logged in with an emoji token, when they tap the link they will be asked to enter their name and joined to the new family.
- Keep in mind- only the administrator of a specific family can issue an emoji code. So big families with many adults will probably want to make almost everyone an administrator.
- If administrators from both families issue emoji codes to the same member, they will have to pick which account to use to link to other families.
Extra tips with kids and FamilyApp
- Remember- just because a child is in your family doesn’t mean they have to be part of all conversations. Feel free to set up “Adults Only” threads so you can chat about other topics.
- Only adults can be administrators. This allows parents to stay aware of their child’s communication (so no “kids only” threads) and keeps us compliant with the Child Online Protection Act.
- If you have a child who’s a little too overzealous and starts to clutter your chats with strings of emojis and random letters, you don’t have to remove them completely.
- Instead, you can always log emoji users out of the family if they are not using it appropriately. Then wait a while before adding them back in.
Have your kids started using FamilyApp, yet? What are their favorite ways to be part of family conversations? There are so many ways kids can benefit from the app, whether they’re looking at the family calendar, or chatting with grandparents. Try it today!